MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've had a stone hit the headlight on my synergie which has left a pin sized hole in the glass. what's the best way to fix it so water doesn't get in without having to fork out for a new headlight????

·
Registered
rover_75
6,031 Posts
i've had a stone hit the headlight on my synergie which has left a pin sized hole in the glass. what's the best way to fix it so water doesn't get in without having to fork out for a new headlight????
It will fail the next MOT so sorry no fixes allowed. Does the lens come off? Are there metal clips round the headlight or is it 'glued' on? You can change lenses on german cars so worth looking.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
If it is small, I would think 2 part araldite would do it , surely a tester wouldnt notice it?
solvents release gases which will mist up the inside of your light, id suggest usin clear silocone or something similar..... or even try a windscreen repair kit, available on ebay?.....

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
last MOT slot of the day

the garage comented i had binding brakes but didn't notice that i had no brake pads!

i was not happy 3 days later on a blat through wales when i noticed scoring on the discs!

·
Registered
718 Posts
If it is big enough to be spotted at the MOT is will fail, but cross that bridge when you come to it; they might miss it for years. Araldite tends to be opaque and coloured; what about superglues? The ones I've seen are all transparent and I don't think they give off any vapour.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think you would be very unlucky if it fails the M.O.T several of our vans have chips or tiny cracks in the lenses which i have filled with clear silicone, if it does not affect the beam pattern they cannot fail it, I think people are getting confused that its a rear lense that must not have any cracks or holes in it as you cannot have white light showing directly from the rear of the vehicle.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,443 Posts
i had exactly the same problem a tiny hole in my nearside headlight,i fixed it by squirting a bit of superglue in the hole,that was two years ago the headlight unit has no discolouration or trapped condensation inside and it passed its mot no probs, mot only fails headlights that are broken inoperative or fogged up or hold water,minor cracks you get away with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts