MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive just got back from a trip to a mates but on the way i had to join a carrageway from standstill,i had to floor her in first and i hit the red on the rev counter,there was a kind of loud sparking noise from under the car,it started when it hit 6.5k revs and lasted about 3 seconds while i changed to second and then to third but then stopped after the revs had dropped.i pulled into a layby and looked under the cra and under the bonnet but nothing seems out of the ordinary.i tokk it easy on the way home but did rever it to about 4k and it seemed fine.

have i done some damage? has the car got a rev limiter as i dont remember the revs dropping untill i pulled off the gas

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Should be no problem hitting redline as the ECU will cut fuel. If it didn't then you didn't hit the rev limiter.
Check the condition of the rotor arm and dizzy and aassociated leads for eveidence of arcing or burnout.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks ashy,thinking about it now i think the rev needle just hit the 7k when i pulled off the gas.my gf just told me the noise was like sombody throwing gravel at the bottom of the car.im pretty sure the car is now a bit slower than before it happaned

·
Registered
248 Posts
Im sure its done no damage. it probly feels slower because your afraid to gun it into its powerband. you should redline your engine every day.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i wont be doing it again,it wasnt intentional,i had to get away really quick as i had a audi speeding 2wards me,i didnt realise how quick me was travelling

·
Registered
325 Posts
It is good to give your engine a good run when your engine is fully warmed up but don't think that red lining it is a good idea because it isn't. The rev limiter is there for a reason, don't push your luck.

·
Registered
264 Posts
heh, I remember one morning going to work in my Brava and I had the radio on really loud and joined a roundabout in 1st but forgot to change up! I started to smell something burning and turned my music down and then realised I was redlining! It survived and never had an issue with it since.

I hate to say it, but I drove like a girl that day!

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Well the ecu should cut fuel off before it hits the limitter, However it wont do any harm to goto the red line. Infact if you keep the revs low and stuff you risk causing damage too.

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Taking it close to the limit once it engine has warmed up won't do any damage at all. I've never taken mine past 6k but I redlined my 416 once a while ago and it never did any damage.

Just give the car a good checkover and make sure there's nothing visibly wrong and take it for a good drive. Slowly push it more and more and see how it goes. That's all I'd do :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Its all about balance really, car engines are designed to be used. Limiters are there to stop too much damage but that doesnt mean your not doing damage before you get there. My experience tells me:

1. Let the engine idle for a minute after startup (not always realistic, but try)
2. When the engine is cold dont go over 3,000 revs, its only for 5mins until its warmed up.
3. When accelerating quickly, dont floor it, be progressive so as not to flood the engine and generally mess things up.
4. When you've got the car warm there is no problem taking the car towards the red line, providing you dont thrash it there. Smooth driving is the key to quick driving.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I too did this at a junction i let go of the clutch a bit fast and reved way to much, b4 i could even think about changing gear the neddle was in the red and past the 7 and wheel spinning like a ***** it then lost power for a secound and then changed up...back to normal....the redline is there to stop you blowing your engine but unless you smash it all the way into the red and hold oit there so it also overheats it wont blow or do much if any damage...mine has been fine sicne....i think lol

cheers

·
Registered
737 Posts
I don't redline my car. Normally just go to 4- 5k RPM when I'm on the dual carrigeway if I feel like it.
My mate has a Saxo and he insists on letting the car bounce on the limiter every now and then. :\

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah i dont normaly go over 4-5k but on this occasion i had to otherwise i would of got hit.the cars been fine,ive used it today and reved it to 5k and its ok so i think i just got a bit parranoind coz of the noise..thanks guys

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
your not doing damage before you get there. My experience tells me:

1. Let the engine idle for a minute after startup (not always realistic, but try)
That is not recommended. Start the car and drive away immediately. This gets the oil pressure up quickly and gets the engine up to running temp and inrceases the efficiency of the engine. Idling the car from cold causes more wear to the engine.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts