MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there, have just bought a Hard Top for my MG. After hearing hundreds of horror stories of how simple these are to steal. Can anyone recommend any modifications you have done or know off that you can do to secure the top onto the car better than the current set up now.

This is obviously a massive problem with the Hard Tops as aparantly all it takes them is to break the windows, unclip then away in seconds. Hopefully somebody has come up with something to lock them in place and stop the thieving scumbags !

Regards James

·
Registered
255 Posts
They'd only have to open my shed to get mine!! ahahah. sorry, couldnt resist that one...so security for me is a .....lock! I know this is no help to you though :doh:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
they would have to break in to my car to take it meaning my alarm would go off :S plus i have MR BAT at my door as soon as my alarm goes off he comes out to play :D lol ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fecae- Yea true but the chances are its not going to get stolen when its at your home is it, its more like when you,ve parked up out and about and to be honest passers by dont really give two hoots when car alarms blaring out, just mind their own business.

Cheers Anyway J

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
dunno when ever i hear a car alarm go off i always go to look so do my m8tes maybe as we are part of a car club just looking out for each other :S dunno

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
the problem with a HT is the only real way to secure them is by having some kind of lock on the front clasps. which IIRC mike satur looked into, but he decided against it as when u do something like lock the front clasps of the roof u cant actually see them, so any thief wouldnt see a visual deterrant, therofre carry on as normal and still smash your windows.

alarms are great, but i would wager a nice bet on them smashing your windows, removing the HT and be about to drive before u ahve woken up and got hold of your bat. ;)

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
MG Deano said:
the problem with a HT is the only real way to secure them is by having some kind of lock on the front clasps. which IIRC mike satur looked into, but he decided against it as when u do something like lock the front clasps of the roof u cant actually see them, so any thief wouldnt see a visual deterrant, therofre carry on as normal and still smash your windows.

alarms are great, but i would wager a nice bet on them smashing your windows, removing the HT and be about to drive before u ahve woken up and got hold of your bat. ;)
weren't you looking into some warning type stickers for the HT Deano ????

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
....but to be fair, its not exactly like some theif is going to spontanously decide to steal your hard-top !!!... it would take a reasonable amount of planning to get away with it (walking down the street carrying a hard-top... I reckon even the boys in blue would consider this "unusual" and go and ask questions)... so its more likely IMO to be stolen from wherever you park it at home.... ?

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Hardtops are stolen to order, and it is seasonal - more are stolen in Autumn / Winter (more choice on the roads, and a higher demand). There have been a couple of companies implicated in receiving stolen hardtops - i only have rumours to go on here, so i am not going to name any names (slander etc). But be careful if you are buying one, the company may seem perfectly respectable, but the top may still have been stolen.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
iv'e decided in the winter periods i am now going to keep my large dog in my car in the nights to save someone from nicking my hard top you lot have scared me so much i dont even want to take my hard top out of the shed again lol

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've seen a small hole drilled into the rear fixing clasps (about 6mm) and then a small padlock has been fitted preventing the clasps from being opened.....

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
X70WER said:
I've seen a small hole drilled into the rear fixing clasps (about 6mm) and then a small padlock has been fitted preventing the clasps from being opened.....
i thnk that is very similar to the way i have been told how to secure one, but the problem is it isnt visible security. so the chances are if someone scumbag is scouting your car to steal teh HT, it ownt be until they have smashed your windows do they realise the clasps are locked in place.

pete, i was looking into some stickers to amke the car more visible for security but i had to order a large number as a minimum order and the inital outlay was quite expensive...so it got put on the backburner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for that, good idea. And fair enough no visual and if they do break the windows at least thats all it will be rather than forking out another grand for a hardtop

Keep the ideas comin guys !! = Regards

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
hardtops dont cost a grand! you can get second hand ones on ebay for 400 - 600 quid! but still id rather pay for a windscreen too! lol

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
lam7r said:
Deano do you not have some clifford stickers on your windows? Is that not security enough?

i odnt have stickers, i have a flashing blue neon clifford sign attached to the bottom of my window. extremely visible and anyone in the know should be able to spot its a cliiford alarm from a distance.

but i reckon if i had an extra apir of hands, i could be away with somones HT before they have had the chance to get out of bed and be near the front door!!! so just an alarm isnt always satisfactory.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts