MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought my first mg zr 1.4 105,and am not too sure if she is handling normally.when first purchased car was pulling to right when braking and the steering felt vague especially over bumpy roads,so I took her back to dealer,who confirmed brake problem and cured it by replacing the discs and pads,but said the handling was normal for the car due to the sport suspension,205/50/16 tyres etc.but I was still not convinced and road tested car again,and took it back a second time,this time they put on new wheels and four new tyres,the handling has improved slightly but still feels vague to me,is this normal? my car is on a '52' plate with 30k on the clock and I've had it for a little over a week

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Sounds to me like investing in a 4 wheel alignment check wouldn't be a bad thing! with that section of tyres I would have thought the last thing it would feel is vague, quite the opposite. I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with the 25/ZR suspension/handling, but start with the geometry and alignment first, then if that doesn't cure it, try looking at dampers etc. Could be them (a tad premature mabye)

CAM

·
Registered
150 Posts
oldowl said:
I have just bought my first mg zr 1.4 105,and am not too sure if she is handling normally.when first purchased car was pulling to right when braking and the steering felt vague especially over bumpy roads,so I took her back to dealer,who confirmed brake problem and cured it by replacing the discs and pads,but said the handling was normal for the car due to the sport suspension,205/50/16 tyres etc.but I was still not convinced and road tested car again,and took it back a second time,this time they put on new wheels and four new tyres,the handling has improved slightly but still feels vague to me,is this normal? my car is on a '52' plate with 30k on the clock and I've had it for a little over a week
This model is the next step up from my 103ps rover 25.
They do handle badly on very bumpy roads due to the stiffer suspension setup.But saying that,almost all the roads in this country are crap so this must be expected.What make of tyres are you using on your zr.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
i personally have found every rover 200/25/zr to be very 'skittish' under braking and over dodgy A roads and b roads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tyres

BABYROVER said:
This model is the next step up from my 103ps rover 25.
They do handle badly on very bumpy roads due to the stiffer suspension setup.But saying that,almost all the roads in this country are crap so this must be expected.What make of tyres are you using on your zr.
at the minute am running on dunlop 205x50x16 rubber,but I take your point on the state of roads in general ,makes you wonder why we bother with road tax etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ricc said:
i personally have found every rover 200/25/zr to be very 'skittish' under braking and over dodgy A roads and b roads.
have had other marques of performance cars in past, i.e. xr 2's & 3's,a couple of v/hall gte's,the odd vw gti (golf & jetta),a couple of rover 3.5 v8's (old 2000 shape),even had an old dam' sov' 4.2 at one bit,but this is my first zr and didn't know what to expect as none of the above sempt to handle like this as i remember,but my latest toy is as much fun to play with as any of those,just wanted to make sure mine was no worse than anybody else's

1 - 7 of 7 Posts