MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my TF has been good as gold... until today :(

the handbrake isn't sitting in it's fully down position as snugly as it normally does with enough play to be pulled upwards and set off the handbrake warning light.

When driving it comes on if i go over a bump and is fixed by pushing the lever back down a tad.

Initially I wondered if this was just my imagination and that the swith sensor under the lever was a bit dodgy, but having removed the gater it all looks fine and doesnt appear senstive or sticking etc.

However, as it's never done this before and considering I've not driven the car for a couple of days I'm a little suspicious to say the least.

Did a quick search on here and have turned up a few threads about rear calipers sticking and I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the sudden extra play in the handbrake.

how can i tell if it's sticking and what do I do about it? I know its not the drivers side rear as I checked the temp of the disc after driving it for a while and it was fine (using the great technique of just sticking your finger on the pad... in hindsight not the most sensible thing...) but didn't check the passenger side for one reason or another *doh*

What do you helpful lot think? Time for new calipers?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,117 Posts
If you remove the centre cubby (under the arm rest) you will see a nut, normally this just needs nipping up.

But you are right to be concerned about a sticking caliper as this has just happened to me so keep an eye (or a finger) on it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you remove the centre cubby (under the arm rest) you will see a nut, normally this just needs nipping up.

But you are right to be concerned about a sticking caliper as this has just happened to me so keep an eye (or a finger) on it.
the nut just needs tightening then? The nut being just a tensioner then?

I'm about to change the disks, pads and suspension springs all round soon and I'm wondering if I should just bring this forward and get the garage to check this over?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,117 Posts
9 times out of 10 it's just the nut that is the problem so I would start there first, and drive a mile or so and check for any extra heat from the rear brakes.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Hi Ian, I'd go along with Chris's advice for first port of call for investigation... I had exactly the same problem when I first had mine and turning the nut just a fraction can cure it....

Al

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
does seem to be that the handbrake needs tightening.

I've checked the rear calipers and both are moving freely. I also took her out for a spin and neither brake overheating :)

Access to the nut assembly is actually (for once) very easy, as Chris mentioned just remove the center consol cubby box (it pulls out with a bit of persuasion).

I'm going to monitor the situation over the next few days and make sure it's all ok :)

·
Registered
mgf
185 Posts
How bizarre, Just logged on to report that the other half has phoned to say the car smells and there is a lot of heat in the rear passenger side when she drove to work this morning.

Initially I thought Hand brake as the last time I drove it the light flashed on and off a few times. Could I be right?

Is the sticky caliper problem in any way related to the handbrake

(in laymens terms only pls!)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, the way I understand it, yes the rear calipers are prone to siezing. this is related to the handbrake as it's the rear discs that act at the handbrake on an all disc car such as the F/TF.

This is well reported here on this forum and was one of the reasons why I was initially worried that I had the same problem.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to knowing anything about these cars however, but to find out if I had this problem I did the following:

1. Manually checked the temperature of the rear discs after a drive (they should be the same temp as the front discs and not more than slightly warm to the touch.)

2. Freewheeled and applied the handbrake to check for drift during braking to see if both sides are being equally applied

3. Jacked the car up and checked if both rear wheels span freely.

4. Got underneath the car and checked if the cables were properly greased and free from grit. Also checked movement of calipers when handbrake applied and released.

5. Checked the handbrake tensioner for excess play

In your case however, the temperature increase and more importantly the smell is probably indicative of something more serious :(

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,117 Posts
How bizarre, Just logged on to report that the other half has phoned to say the car smells and there is a lot of heat in the rear passenger side when she drove to work this morning.

Initially I thought Hand brake as the last time I drove it the light flashed on and off a few times. Could I be right?

Is the sticky caliper problem in any way related to the handbrake

(in laymens terms only pls!)
Does sound like the caliper has started to seize.

I would have it looked at as soon as possible before it does any damage to the pads and disk.

·
Registered
mgf
185 Posts
Cheers guys, It is up on ramps hopefully being fixed as we speak. It's not long since we had the brakes done to I'm hoping to get it as a freebie as sent t'other half to flutter her lashes at them!

·
Registered
mgf
185 Posts
Diagnostic report:

Last night we picked it up having had the calipers and cables checked over, cleaned up etc and everything appeared OK.

This afternoon however it has done it again on the left rear so the garage have said we'll need to change the caliper and cable to correct it.

Clutch, Head, sticky throttle body, headlights, discs (front and back.) A beautiful car but sure bites your wallet!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts