MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i changed my dials today as my rev counter was broken on my old ones. just the new dials wont extinguish the handbrake light. though it does dim down when i release the handbrake. any ideas??

·
Registered
mg_zs
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i changed my dials today as my rev counter was broken on my old ones. just the new dials wont extinguish the handbrake light. though it does dim down when i release the handbrake. any ideas??
would it be possible to change the bulb for one which will only light dim in the first place, then when my current bulb dims, this one will extinguish????
what kind of bulb would i need? a higher voltage?

·
Registered
mg_zs
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
correct me if im wrong but your handbreak light is ment to be on if your handbreak is on thats the whole idea :0s
that part is fine, but wjhen i release the handbrake the light only dims, not extinguishes

my old dials worked fine apart from the rev counter. now these all work apart from this light

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
you have to remove your armrest and fix the switch that's linked to the hanbrake handle. it's easy.

·
Registered
mg_zs
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you have to remove your armrest and fix the switch that's linked to the hanbrake handle. it's easy.
ahh, this sounds promising, could you give a little more detail or a pic of what bit i have to do. many thanks mate

·
Registered
mg_zs
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
daft question, have you checked your brake fluid isnt low ??

could just be sods law ?
yes mate i have done. my old dials read correctly and the light goes out as soon as the hadbrake is released

for some unknown reason the handbrake light only dims on the new dials

·
Registered
mg_zs
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just had a look in the manual, could it be that the 1.8 uses a different handvbrake switch, so that my old one cant give a correct reading to the new dials? this is all i can hope for. is this possible?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
ahh, this sounds promising, could you give a little more detail or a pic of what bit i have to do. many thanks mate
you have two screws on the back sides of the armrest, and two 8mm bolts hidden bellow a plastic cap right below the handle in the front.
once you removed them you can lift the arm rest. you'll see only one wire plugged to the base of the handbrake handle, maybe it's unplugged or loose, fiddle with it and see what happens.

·
Registered
mg_zs
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you have two screws on the back sides of the armrest, and two 8mm bolts hidden bellow a plastic cap right below the handle in the front.
once you removed them you can lift the arm rest. you'll see only one wire plugged to the base of the handbrake handle, maybe it's unplugged or loose, fiddle with it and see what happens.
just had a check on this. doesnt help at all. still stays the same. is it possible that the handbrake switch on my 1.6 is different to that of a 1.8 model. seeing as 1.8s have rear disks and mine has drums. could this be it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts