MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi..

ive a ZT 180 sports auto.. rear discs... i was wondering how the handbrake works with disc brakes.. im used to the drum brake style... just for info really.....

thanks for any info..

Tony

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks mikem.... this came about when i saw rear handbrake pads that looked like drum pads... now it makes sense...

so bsically there are 2 sets of pads on the rear...? 1 for handbrake and 1 for the normal disc braking...

Thanks

Tony

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Almost.......

There are pads that operate the brakes on the discs and shoes inside the drum that operate only the handbrake.

hth

Mike :)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,464 Posts
Do a search in the Guru's forum there Tony, I've posted up some pics of the discs during replacement :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
tonymax said:
thanks mikem.... this came about when i saw rear handbrake pads that looked like drum pads... now it makes sense...

so bsically there are 2 sets of pads on the rear...? 1 for handbrake and 1 for the normal disc braking...

Thanks

Tony
Surely handbrake pads would never wear out? Are they really available as a spare part?

·
Registered
399 Posts
MikeM said:
Yes they are and yes they do (or should that be vice versa? ;) )
Does this apply to everyone, or only to those of us who like to turn the car at speed using the handbrake. I always suspected that you 75 drivers had some sort of secret alter-ego existence! :evil:

Assuming it does apply to all, why is this? The only thing I can assume is that the pads gradually compact over time, since they don't as such have friction wear on them.

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Womble said:
Does this apply to everyone, or only to those of us who like to turn the car at speed using the handbrake. I always suspected that you 75 drivers had some sort of secret alter-ego existence! :evil:

Assuming it does apply to all, why is this? The only thing I can assume is that the pads gradually compact over time, since they don't as such have friction wear on them.
Well they are shoes rather than pads and the 75 is not a slimline beast. They don't wear quickly but they do wear and the dust build up in the drum increases the wear-get it cleaned out to stop the rear squeaking when you get it.

Regards

Mike :)

ps and of course the donuts and h/brake turns don't help..........................

1 - 11 of 11 Posts