MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have won these two motors Rover 600's on the bay of E and pretty much wondered if anyone was in a position to help transport them up from the lovely Weston Super Mare to Sunny Old Wigan?

The cars are as follows:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270112668506&sspagename=ADME:L:AAQ:UK:1

On the other note while I'm a hunting for alternatives anyone know where I could rent a vehicle that could move them both in one go?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
240 Posts
A Frame Towing

Why don't you buy (ebay approx £150) or try to rent an A frame towing rig.
Will take you a while to get home though, expecially if your planning to move them this weekend.

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
The first one runs, so get a mate to come and drive it, and then either borrow/hire a car trailer for the 2nd one or tow it (though that might be a bit of a push in a 1.6 R25)

edit: although you may want to use the working ti to tow the other one, which should be able to cope easily enough.

·
Registered
19,006 Posts
Option1) Get a mate with a trailer and a decent car that can pull the one that isnt running. (incase the other Ti cant pull it)

If the running one doesnt have mot/tax. Get an mot booked for it so you can legally drive it home to the test centre(insurance aswell)

Option2) Get a hold of hoses etc that re needed and get Both of them running so they can be driven home.

Im suspicious of eBay, why have 2 cars the same unless one was wrecked and only to be used as spares. He says he taken hoses etc off of one to ge tht elower mileage one running but id have been suspicious.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Option1) Get a mate with a trailer and a decent car that can pull the one that isnt running. (incase the other Ti cant pull it)
I would definitely agree with that. Going down there with the expectation of using the running one to get the other back just seems to be tempting fate.

Hire a trailer - and ask around/bribe a mate with a suitable tow car, then drive the runner back yourself.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Im suspicious of eBay, why have 2 cars the same unless one was wrecked and only to be used as spares. He says he taken hoses etc off of one to ge tht elower mileage one running but id have been suspicious.
Not sure how its supposed to be suspicious, although I wouldn't buy a whole car for just a few parts (unless of course there was some massive cash incentive)?

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,927 Posts
I can recommend using an A-Frame to tow a 620ti using a 620ti as tow car. The beauty of this is that you do NOT need another driver for the towed car. You'll need two round trips as you can only A-Frame one car at a time.

When I bid on cars, I always check the distance from where I live and bid to allow for that. I won a 620ti over 220 miles away but, because of it's relatively remote distance, bids were few and far between so overall it was good value. Car was a non-runner but even had 11 months MoT and a few months tax. This one:

Until some kind soul 'nicked' my twin axle a few months back, I could have offered help..... Here's pictures of how the A-Frame works..... If you've not used one before or have never towed a trailer, take your time learing how to handle these things .... it's not dofficult but requires a lot of forethought ( particularly where braking is concerned ) to allow for all those plonkers we share our roads with and the strokes they sometimes pull.

This is how the A-Frame is attached.....

Always worth a risk these old T16 turbos. That red 620ti being A-Framed had a dodgy gearbox but lots of MoT. My wife is using it now I have it up to scratch. Remarkably, despite its 134,000 miles, it has one of the most responsive and smooth running T16 turbocharged engines I've ever tried. Faster than any of my current or previous 620ti and bog-standard except for Vitesse Gearbox.

..;)

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm maybe I was a bit rash and impulsive on this one although the A-Frame would appear to be a decent investment. Just trying to justify the expenditure on all this now. Hmmm.decisions...decisions.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
If the running one doesnt have mot/tax. Get an mot booked for it so you can legally drive it home to the test centre(insurance aswell)
Illegal unfortunately. The MOT station has to be within a reasonable distance of where they car is currently located. You can't drive it half way across the country under the MOT pretense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.