MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have an mg zr 1.4 n had a custom exhaust system fited gettin rid of the massive back box n middle box its now more a less a str8 run from cat to a very small back box it sounds awesome but it makes gun shot sounding poping noises is this normal wil it affect my engienes life i need my head gasket done its overheating n evapourating coolant is my exhaust not helpin the situation or not help wud be very welcome

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
First of all, :speakenglish:

Seeing as your new to the site, welcome. I'll help you in getting some replies:

Hi.

I have an MG ZR 1.4 and have had a custom exhaust fitted. I have gotten rid of the massive back box and centre box, so it is now more or less a straight run from the cat to a very small back box.

It sounds awesome but it makes gun shot / popping noise sounds. Is this normal? Will it affect my engine's life?.

I need my head gasket done as it's overheating and evapourating coolant. Is my exhuast not helping the situation?

Any help would be very welcome.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
The poping should only be when it's cold. Thats the unused fuel been burnt up. Metro's and 100's used to do it with standard exhaust's. It wont effect the life of the engine at all. I doubt the exhaust will make it any worse or better. But get it done before it's to late.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Im portuguese and I understand every single word he said.
So did I. I knew what he was saying, but there was a degree of txt speak which makes it hard for some members to read, and is against forum rules. As he is a new to the forums, I thought i'd help him out.

He also did not use any punctuation, so I did him a favour by making it easier to read. People often scan the forums quickly, and they are more likely to reply if it is easier to read.

Rich.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I thought back-fires contributed to valve burn out?

Is the timing correct? Maybe the timing needs advancing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is that bad ? and going to cost money ? its like a gun shot through the exhaust its liek a pop noise. i only have a small back box now and its dtraigh pipe work from the cat to the back box

1 - 8 of 8 Posts