MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm meeting James and then driving my baby down to Taunton this morning, with one very hung over OH in the passenger seat ...rugger end of season dinner last night....say no more... ;)

Aphrodite has an 'appointment' with Dr Dave and, fingers crossed, I'll finally know what is causing the gawdawful noise that is putting me off driving her anywhere at the moment......wish me luck that whatever he finds is causing the problem with her isn't going to cost me the equivalent of a holiday for 4 at Eurodisney! :eek:mg2:

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Creaking noise is now gone! :)

From a walking pace, a rotational creak could be heard from the NSR - which also grew worse if the car was steered to the right.

Checked all suspension bushes and joints - all OK

Then looked at the hub nut - loose!

A tighten up to 215Nm, a roadtest and a further re-torque and the noise has been banished.

Andie is over the moon and Dave (OH) now has a peaceful life, to go with his hangover! :beer2:

The offending article!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Good one! Hope thats it finally sorted:broon: , amazing it's the simple things that get missed when trying to source problems. Should aways start with the basics then work through:spanner: :) , but we all try looking too hard and miss the obvious:slap: . Bit different from dif' /gearbox change, Andie must well pleased!!:bgrin2:

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
She was Martin, over the moon!

Trouble is, mechanics these days are merely fitters and tend to fit this and fit that in an effort to sort a fault.

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Excellent work! Here's a virtual pint for you Dave! :beer2:

..even that smiley makes me feel ill after the ammount I consumed lastnight! :lol:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Trouble is, mechanics these days are merely fitters and tend to fit this and fit that in an effort to sort a fault.
Thats why with my own training/ career I get twitchy and loath paying the hard earned to garages, so many seem to just what to take your money, have no pride in their work or understand the vehicle.
In this particular case a potentially unnecessary gearbox replacement could have be carried out at a very high cost and the wheel bearing reset at the same time during the rebuild leaving Andie non the wiser...... scary....:err: .

1 - 20 of 59 Posts