MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's me nagging again... Please could someone give me accurate answers for each sections. Or at least tell me if there's a DYS guide.

I'm planing to repair the ligh on my knobs (climate control, fog lights,...) since they're all dead dark. I've seen someone put in blue LED's but I just can't find that post.

Also I'd like to put LED's in the dials section so I'd leave the original backlight illumination and put blue color on the front side of the dials. Seen that somewhere too.

Next I'd like to shed some light on the front windows knobs, which are damn dark as well.

And finally I'd like to brighten up the knob for the sunroof, too.

Where could I take the power from ? And would I need resistors for LED's ?

THANK YOU !! I promise not to nag for at least a week :rotflmao:

aRTy

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I haven't done it myself, but to change the colour of the dials/instrument panel, you have to take off the whole instrument panel out and get access to the back. There you will see the leds and bulbs that operate the signals for oil, indicator, abs, temp etc etc. Simply either change the orange plastic covering the bulbs to a blue one if you can find them or just by blue bulbs. Oh, and be careful not to lose the bulb holder (blue plastic thing that may have Toshiba written on it), i lost mines in Fletchers and now cant see temp gauge in the dark!

Do change the bulbs for the fogs, climate control, hazard lights etc etc, you need to remove the whole of the central console which will give u access to the bulbs. Agin just replace them with the coloured bulbs!

For the sunroof light, i wanna change mines to, i think its just a matter of taking off the glass and changinf the bulbs, hopefully i can find some more powerfull bulbs.

As for introducing new leds and other wiring stuff i aint got the foggiest mate!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well thanx mates... i know how to get to the bulbs behind the dials, but i'd need specific electric guide. which led's and what resistors do u use. And where u tap into the wires to get the juice for led's...

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
djarty said:
well thanx mates... i know how to get to the bulbs behind the dials, but i'd need specific electric guide. which led's and what resistors do u use. And where u tap into the wires to get the juice for led's...
I am also quite interested in this, I think you can buy direct replacements (in the holder n stuff) from www.ultraleds.co.uk but again I'm not 100% sure which ones you need.....

I want to replace my dash with blue leds and also want some blue leds in the door handle bits.... wanna put a couple of white cathodes in the boot too coz the light in there is poo!

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Yeah i have been looking at that website for a while. Wanna change my leds too.

Here are what i think should fit a Rover, well my 214 Si anyway-

-239/264/269 (festoon): one of those, not sure which one as i aint measured the one in my car yet, should be a direct replacement for the courtesy lamp. Gonna opt for a really bright blue one!

-286T/509T (integral with holder): really have no idea which one but one of those are a direct replacement for the ABS, handbrake, hazard, fuel etc warning lamps on the instrument panel.

-501 (capless): front sidelamps, temp/speed/rev/fuel gauge, side indicators. These i am confident about, i think the popular ones are the "Blue 6 Super Bright leds" if u wanna achieve a blue instrument panel!

-380/382/581 (Bayonet): For brake, rear fog lights, fron and rear indicators. But the 581 are amber so are for the indiactors.

Im not the boffin on this, just used some logic to figure out which ones should fit, but please correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Just ordered a a whole lotta bulbs off that site. Cost me bout £18 for 4 blue high powered capless bulbs (for instrument panel and gonna try for the side headlamps), 1 festoon bulb 31-35mm blue high powered (for courtesy lamp) and 2 super bright bayonet bulbs for the reverse lights.

Will order more if these bulbs turn out to be of good quality to replace the remaining rear brake and indicators.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Naj said:
Just ordered a a whole lotta bulbs off that site. Cost me bout £18 for 4 blue high powered capless bulbs (for instrument panel and gonna try for the side headlamps), 1 festoon bulb 31-35mm blue high powered (for courtesy lamp) and 2 super bright bayonet bulbs for the reverse lights.

Will order more if these bulbs turn out to be of good quality to replace the remaining rear brake and indicators.
Kool, let me know how you get on with these, if they are any good I'll be ordering some myself ....

:D

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
CRNeo said:
Kool, let me know how you get on with these, if they are any good I'll be ordering some myself ....

:D
No prob mate, hopefully they arrive soon. Will give an update on how i get on with the neqw bulbs!

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
CRNeo said:
You got these in yet??

Want to know how it goes b4 I put my order in!
Sorry, started a new thread to post my progress... http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=68149

Mike, As for what resistors am i using...? Uhmm u lost me there mate, i got no idea about wiring or anything so when i do come to that part then i will ask guys, like u, for help! Just tryna get the instrument panel lights sorted first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts