MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point me in the direction of, or advise me on how to change my Rover 200 1998 cam belt?

I have just been informed that they need changing every 30,000 miles and my car has just done 40,000 and I don't know when it was last done.

Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I thoguht it was 60 aswell. Haynes said 60000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first I think. If in doubt your better to change it mate, it's not great when they break!

·
Registered
mg_zr
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
60,000 sounds better to me, and if Haynes Manual says so then that's good enough for me :)

Unfortunately if it has never been changed since the car was new the I am still past the 5 years by 3 years!

With that in mind can someone explain how to change it or point me to a guide please? Also are they easy to change as the only belt I have ever changed before was the fan belt......?

·
Registered
mg_zr
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
aboard_epsilon said:
Thanks for the link, not watched the video yet but it looks like I'll have to remove the engine.... Is that the case or can I do it with the engine in place?

EDIT: Just watched the video. What regular tools can I use to 'lock' everything in place while I change the belt or do I need the special tools in the video?

If I need the tools in the video where can I purchase them?

And can someone also confirm if the engine needs removing to fit it or could I get to everything form under the hood?

Sorry for all the questions. I have to learn somehow though.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
cr4igp4lmer said:
Thanks for the link, not watched the video yet but it looks like I'll have to remove the engine.... Is that the case or can I do it with the engine in place?

EDIT: Just watched the video. What regular tools can I use to 'lock' everything in place while I change the belt or do I need the special tools in the video?

If I need the tools in the video where can I purchase them?

And can someone also confirm if the engine needs removing to fit it or could I get to everything form under the hood?

Sorry for all the questions. I have to learn somehow though.
You can do it in place, you will need something to jack the engine up though so you can remove the belt around the engine mount. The pulley bolt is acsessable from the offside wheel arch.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
it may be of interest ....
if you double click on the video picture area ..it goes to full screen ..so you can see it more clearly.
the camshaft locking tool is avalable from nearly all car accessorie shops or ebay

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&from=R10&satitle=k+series+locking&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D3&sadis=200&fpos=Postcode&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
cr4igp4lmer said:
Thanks for the link. What about the other locking tool he uses or is that not necesarry?
Flywheel locking tool? It is possible without. You will need to put the car in 5th gear and then get someone to push the brakes very hard, engine off obviously.
Run the car and pump the brakes a few times then get someone to push down hard on brakes then turn engine off and put into 5th.
Don't take the cambelt off until you have loosened the pulley bolt. The crank will probably move a bit at first and then lock up as the slack in the gears is taken up. When the bolt is loose nip it up and set the timing as per the instructions - 90 degress BTDC. Lock the cam sprockets. Now you can remove the bolt and the pulley then cambelt.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I find turning the drive shaft easier than the crank as I like to align the drive gear flawlessly a process hindered if the pully is on or you have to mess around with the crank bolt.Obviously the o/s/f wheel has to be removed.

·
Registered
mg_zr
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all for your very informative and helpfull posts but I think this is going to be beyond me. And I don't want to kill my engine so I think I'll be taking it to the garage for this job.

How much does a cam belt change cost? Including VAT, labour, parts etc etc?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts