MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past day or so I have noticed a grinding noise coming from my passenger rear wheel. It does happen all the time, just now and again. Anyone have any ideas what this could be? I thought wheel baring but would this not make noise all the time rather than come and go?

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
I'd guess at either the wheel bearing or the brake pad wear indicator touching the disc, indicating low pad level, check the inner pads as they wear more than the outers.

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Bearing noise (initially) comes and goes as load on the bearing change - e.g. bends or roundabouts put extra load on. Eventually it sounds like Concorde taking off and there is no confusion.

As said above, could also be the metal springy strip on the rear pads that is designed to rub against the outer edge of the disk as the pads get dangerously low. Don't leave either too long: pads don't cost much, are quick to change and could save lives; bearings can easily cost £350 + if left too long, as the bearing carrier gets donald as well.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
i hada grinding sound on the drivers side fora while. had a look under and basicaly the inside wheel arch had come off a little and was resting on part of the tire during halfish lock. just glued the wheel arch back up again anyway =) dunno if it cud b that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts