MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was out in the ZS on Friday, and i may have been a little too enthusiatic going along some of the back roads near where i live :O :p

I took a corner a bit fast, and ended up kicking the back end too far out. Cue a damn impressive slalom-skid-to-180-turn in a road no wider than the length of the car...

Somehow I managed to put not a single scratch on it (although left a lot of rubber on the tarmac), and drove away fine a few seconds later after a quick 'kick of the tyres'.

Today when i drove to work though (first time in the car since it happened), everything felt... different... but i couldn't for the life of me say in what way.

Can anyone suggest if i may have damaged the car somehow, or even suggest things to have a check-over after puting the car under strain that it ain't exactly used to?

Cheers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
hmmm i would be surprised if you had not done some damage. First thing i would do is get the wheel alignment front and back checked, then look at suspension for any obvious damaged/bent components. Most likely you will just have thrown alignment out and bent tracking arms.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You may find it's all psychological, there might not be anything really wrong but it's just playing on your mind and you think something isn't right. I know this is what happened to me a while back! :O

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
yep same here, it like when i havent driven for 3 weeks once i was really twichy getting back in to the car. And after i go for a fast drive i find myself really having to stop and say dont be an idiot drive normally, next time i get in the car.

·
Registered
mg_zs
526 Posts
It good to get frights like this (ones that don't cause damage or injury that is!) - It kinda wakes you up and tells you to cop on! :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It good to get frights like this (ones that don't cause damage or injury that is!) - It kinda wakes you up and tells you to cop on! :)
Yeah it was a bit of a slap-in-the-face. At least i KNOW what the car's limits are now, before i was just guessing, and getting cocky... :(

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I once turned a very sharp corner at high speed, since my wheels are quite wide, I didn't lose grip, but my tracking went all wrong, I had to keep the steering wheel turned at an angle to have the car go straight :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sorry for the late reply :p

What do you mean 'flat spotted'?
He means after your 180 spin, the tyres will have lost tread on the bottom but nowhere else, thus creating a 'flat spot'. Every time the wheel goes round, the flat spot will create a vibration, its possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts