MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got my Rover coupe on the road there on thursday and lovin it soo much. But have a few questions.

1. Has anyone had problems with a leaking boot? There was water lying down in my spare tyre compartment which i drained out but now after i washed the car I discovered that the boot carpet on the right hand side near the light cluster is wet.

2. Water is leaking in through the drivers door. I washed the car yesterday and discovered water leaking down through the top seal which leaked down into my door panel and I could see water in my speaker cover. Electric window still works. There was also splashes of water on the drivers seat.

3. What size is my petrol tank? It was on the red yesterday so I filled up and it would only hold £37. Its just my 214 bubble had a 50litre tank and I was expecting the coupe to have a same sized tank or a bigger one due to the engine size being bigger. either that or my fuel gauge is faulty. lol.

4. My door mirrors squeak when i open and close the doors. The one on the passenger side must be loose or something because it doesnt seem to sit right. I would pull it in so I can see out of it and then 5 mins down the road its popped back out again so I cant see anything out of it.

Not really worried about the mirrors at the moment. My main concerns would be the leaks, especally the one in the drivers window as Im worried incase it frys my electrics in the door.

I love the car to bits and anything it needs its gonna get.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
1. Seal round the light cluster has most likely gone. If not its the rear screen or the air vent.

2. Sounds like the window needs adjusting.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that stu. Yeh I had a look at the window there and it just doesnt seem to go up far enough for it to go under the seal. As for the boot Ill get that checked out. What sorta thing will indicate that the seal around the cluster has gone?

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Open the boot and poor some water down the outside of the boot rubber. You will see it goes down past the cluster.

You should then be able to see if it is leaking.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok lad cheers. Sounds alright ill go here and try that wee tip now. if it is the seal round the light cluster how do I fix it? New light??

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
You can get a new seal from Xpart.

Or just use bathroom sealant ;)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
Ok I got my Rover coupe on the road there on thursday and lovin it soo much. But have a few questions.

1. Has anyone had problems with a leaking boot? There was water lying down in my spare tyre compartment which i drained out but now after i washed the car I discovered that the boot carpet on the right hand side near the light cluster is wet.

2. Water is leaking in through the drivers door. I washed the car yesterday and discovered water leaking down through the top seal which leaked down into my door panel and I could see water in my speaker cover. Electric window still works. There was also splashes of water on the drivers seat.

3. What size is my petrol tank? It was on the red yesterday so I filled up and it would only hold £37. Its just my 214 bubble had a 50litre tank and I was expecting the coupe to have a same sized tank or a bigger one due to the engine size being bigger. either that or my fuel gauge is faulty. lol.

4. My door mirrors squeak when i open and close the doors. The one on the passenger side must be loose or something because it doesnt seem to sit right. I would pull it in so I can see out of it and then 5 mins down the road its popped back out again so I cant see anything out of it.

Not really worried about the mirrors at the moment. My main concerns would be the leaks, especally the one in the drivers window as Im worried incase it frys my electrics in the door.

I love the car to bits and anything it needs its gonna get.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1) - Leaking boot! LOL! Welcome to the wonderful world of coupe ownership. there are loads of places it could leak from, the most common as stu said are the light clusters. I've put a new seal in and then plastered them in roof sealant. It will also leak from the top of the rear window, the washer jet, the ariel, the air vent in the boot, the boot seals. And dont get me started on the glass roof panel handles :roverjockey:

2) yeah, window needs adjusting, bit of a pita but worth it.

3) sounds about right, how many litres did you get in? It does have a big reserve and lie. Always.

4) sounds strange - does it just flop around?

If your gonna worry about leaks, you have got the wrong car!

·
Registered
737 Posts
My 200 leaks in the boot - loads of water sits in the spare tyre well. While I was drying it up I made a hole by accident in the floor of the car, where it was corroded metal. But now any water just drains off, so it doesn't really bother me.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Bit drastic when there is already a rubber bung in there you could remove :err:

·
Registered
737 Posts
Is there? I couldn't see one.
Where the hole is, looks like it was a place for a bung or something. Its the round circle in the middle of the well.

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,562 Posts
Kris, possibly the leak might be coming through the glass roof panels? rover 200 series owners manual leads me to belive the tank on all rover 200 R8 hold 55litre of petrol.

With regards to the boot leak i have a boot leak and water shows on both rear suspension struts (the car leaks water in the boot when stationary) so i do not know how water travels from the light to the suspension areas!

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
There is a vent by the suspension. It could be coming in through there.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Water in the boot was a problem when these were new. I found the common place was a leak past the clips which hold the lower screen trim on. This should be a screen out job but if you gently prise them up & work a sausage of dum dum or similar sealant round it this usually does the trick. Rover obviously did'nt learn by this one as this is a rampant problem on 75's and the screen HAS to come out!

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,562 Posts
Water in the boot was a problem when these were new. I found the common place was a leak past the clips which hold the lower screen trim on. This should be a screen out job but if you gently prise them up & work a sausage of dum dum or similar sealant round it this usually does the trick. Rover obviously did'nt learn by this one as this is a rampant problem on 75's and the screen HAS to come out!
I paid £30 to get my rear windscreen re-fitted and the problem still occurs! and i know the vents you mean stu but i dont see how they leak water when the car is stationary?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The clips i mentioned hold the trim between the screen & the boot lid & won't have been affected by the screen refit. Water leaks past these into the double skinned area below the rear shelf & then trickles out either side.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the advice folks. My roof panels dont leak and hopefully it will stay that way. Im just concerned about the water leaking down into the drivers door panel incase it frys some electrics or something so ive got my good aul dad who is gonna adjust the window so the glass tucks nicely up with the rubber seal. Im not really worried about the leaky boot. Ive opened the bung that was mentioned and any water that gets in goes straight back out again so no rush to get that fixed at the moment.

Ive got a new door to be fitted to this car due to the passenger side one thats on it having a spot of bubbling just under the mirror so ill make sure and get the mirror looked at when the time comes to fitting the new door.

The petrol gauge was just on the red so I filled up and it held £37 and I cant remember how many litres that would have been (prob about 40 litres?) Just on my wee bubble when it hit the red to fill the tank again would have held about £44. So thought maybe it was a smaller tank or gauge wasnt reading right.

Ill have to report back what the mpg is like but at the moment it seems pretty easy on the fuel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts