Registered
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been 13 years since I had a Rover

Was the Project Vi that started with me Cirian75

Fixed by Dr Dave

And ended its days with technozen

There have been several cars since them

The last 6 years have been with a Suzuki Swift 1.3 VVT 2009, its a nice car with a punchy 1.3 95bhp engine but its 10 years old now and rust has been spotted

So looking at getting brand new

List is

Suzuki Swift Duel jet 1.2
Toyota Aygo
The Korean twins, the Hyundia i10 and Kia Picanto
And the MG3

I've read a few reviews of the MG3 and the main complaint is the 1.5 16v engine being weak down low and not having great MPG

So thought I'd talk to real owners, not overpaid motoring Journalists who praise all things Ford

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,804 Posts
Get another Swift mate, time has told that it is a worthy car, new ones are getting better and better.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hi,

Having driven the same red MG3 loan car twice when my own ZS SUV was being repaired by Apple MG, I felt that the car was very quite hard on the body due to the firm suspension plus the engine needed to thrashed a bit to get it to move. The car revs at around 3100 RPM when travelling at 70 MPH so you do notice the engine noise when travelling on the motorway unlike my ZS SUV which seems to have more sound deadening material in the engine area.

Also, even though the power steering is hydraulically assisted, it sometimes felt heavy when performing slow maneuvers.

The car felt quite tinny which could be heard as a metallic clang especially when closing the doors.

In general the car felt that it had been built to a budget and there wasn't any money left over to make the car more like established brands.

I think that the originally the MG3 was priced from £8500 and ended at £9995 for the 3Style which tells you that it was attacking the budget end of the market where Dacia is selling whereas the Corsa's, Polo's and Fiesta's would cost you many times more.

I was very happy to get back in the driving seat of my own ZS SUV though I must admit that my own car did cost over £16,000 new so it shows where they spent the money on compared to the MG3.

Here's the link to my original loan of the car:

Good luck with your search for a replacement car.

Cheers..

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Here's an old MG3 review that might give you some info about the non-facelifted car:

Cheers..

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Another review here from Piston Heads courtesy of The Crack Fox:

Thursday 29th June 2017

Here's my review;

This model, the MG 3FORM Sport, costs £9899 new. You can get the same package, without the sporty bits, for £8399. That is not a lot of money for any new car, let alone one that drives so nicely. It’s a fair-sized five door hatch with just enough grip, very little body roll, good brakes and a chassis that allows you to scythe around corners at quite a pace. Ride is firm. We like little cars with lots of guts, like this. The engine has 106PS, it’s an old fashioned 1.5 litre, 4 pot with 16v and natural aspiration, with a five speed ‘box. Nothing radical there. On paper it will do 50MPG (combined) but we only managed 35MPG because we were too busy enjoying driving it. 0-60 takes 10.4 seconds but it’s a noisy affair to get up to speed quickly, so you drive it without wanting to brake, ever, and rely on the grip and chassis to carry speed along. It’s a really rewarding way to drive and a credit to the Brummies who designed it.

It isn’t made in Brum, though. It’s made in China. Like the phone or monitor you’re reading this on. And that’s why it’s cheap, I guess. But the important bits; the development, the design – that’s done in blighty and SAIC employ 275 Engineers and 25 Designers at Longbridge who should be credited for making me feel as good driving this as I did in a Maestro turbo back in the days before Leicestershire Police could afford a helicopter. I’d love to have them turbocharge this car. MG, not the Police. MG’s new GS has 166PS from a turbocharged version of the same engine. The MG3 can clearly handle more power and with a stiff chassis and good steering feel it would make an excellent low-cost hot hatch with a difference.

So what don’t we like? Do you remember at school, when you forgot your PE kit and the sadist teacher would make you wear shorts from the lost and found bag? The seats in this sport model are made of the same material as those. The trim quality won’t bother Audi much and the stereo isn’t the most intuitive. The drivers door shuts with a ‘spang’ rather than a ‘thunk’. But – the model I drove has aircon, Bluetooth, cruise control, DAB, parking sensors, lots of legroom front and back and ‘leccy windows all round and (and this is the important bit) all for less than £10k. Also, I think it looks pretty good. Compare it to the Corsa, Fiesta or Fabia, for example. This has an edge, a chunkiness, particularly in this grey paint scheme, and it’s a cracker to drive. Actually, MG are pretty confident this car stacks up against those rivals as it does the comparison for you on their website.

PS - FWIW, I once appeared in WhatCar, reviewing the MG6. I gave it one star and explained why I thought it was crap. They printed the article saying I gave 4 stars and only said nice things. Mustn't upset the advertisers, ay?
rolleyes

Source URL:

Cheers..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with what Mattykan says. I think you would find the MG3 disapointing compared to a Swift. Don't know much about the latest Swift, but the old one was very well regarded. While there are things to like about the MG3, it is now an old design built to a budget. I drove a new Clio recently and was amazed at the level of refinment, compared to a MG3. Every new MG is getting better and better, but six years is a long time in the car industry these days and the MG3, is past its best. (apoligies to all the 3 fans, I am not a hater and own a 6, after lenghly test drives of a 3)

·
Registered
36,387 Posts
Your OP said you were thinking of replacing an old Swift with a new car, potentially an MG3, and what did we think.
I have had my 3 for four years now and though it replaced a ZS180(!), I have have rarely missed the performance and would think the 3 is actually quite sporty if I had just stepped out of a standard Fiesta or Fabia.

In its latest guise, the 3 is IMHO pretty classy and it certainly has a number of luxury touches. It's a perfect car for touring Europe.

The killer argument could be the cost saving - "like a Fiesta but many thousands cheaper for the same thing". Plus a seven year warranty on a new one.

For some reason many reviews remain unnecessarily sceptical (though with your background you will know what to expect on some of those URLs lol). You really have to drive it yourself. I doubt you can get as much proper new car for the price anywhere else - see what you think,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts