MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long Life Exhausts have just quoted me £169 to build a stainless rear box onto my ZT 160 V6. Now with garages quoting £170 for an OEM mild steel one this looks a good deal. I can choose the exhaust note and decibel level and also tail pipe style although the price quoted is for a standard single tail pipe. from the CAT back would be £300 odd. Oh yes and they will lend me a car while mine is done !

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I think just a SS back box is a false economy

You have the front and intermediate boxes as well which will rot or rattle one day so why not save some money long term and do the entire cat back in one hit.

I don't know if these Diy exhaust people are working from any form of design requirements to match back pressure etc but f they are and you get the full system made at least then you only have one place to go and complain to if it does not work properly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
powerflow

powerflow exhausts quoted me around £ 350 for a full decat system with twin exits( 1 eiter side ) wit a choice of tail pipe in ss lifetime guarantee for my 75 cdt

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I paid £275 a few weeks ago for full stainless 2.5 bore incl decat from powerflow for a single exit on a ZT cdti (bit boomy though and went for the largest back box so if your after a quiet system its not the way forward)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'm in a dilema here with my exhaust as powerflow are rubbish but its the only place around here that can help unless I source all the pipe myself and get the measurements right.

Martin, you went .5" too big really. Should have stayed with the default 50mm (2") or at worst gone up to 2.25". The other thing is you'll never see Powerflow use 316 grade Stainless (the best you can get), so in reality they are not touching my car.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I have been very pleased with Powerflow and Magnex Exhausts.

Ran a magnex for 5.5 years on my Rover 220 - saved me buying say a pair of exhausts over that period and I still have the option of selling it on and getting 50% of the outlay back.

I had Powerflow build a full stainless for my Mums Maestro. Cost about £270, but 6 years on and its saved us so many front pipes. This vehicle is used for lots of very short stop-start journeys. Front pipes used to last 18 months to 2 years (ie just out of any included warranty)

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
17 Posts
powerflow ???

right well i dont want mine to sound any louder than standard i like the smooth quietness of my 75
but i like the idea of decating it for improved gas flow & fancy a nice set of shiny tailpipes but you dont think powerflow are much good then & noisy

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I'm in a dilema here with my exhaust as powerflow are rubbish but its the only place around here that can help unless I source all the pipe myself and get the measurements right.

Martin, you went .5" too big really. Should have stayed with the default 50mm (2") or at worst gone up to 2.25". The other thing is you'll never see Powerflow use 316 grade Stainless (the best you can get), so in reality they are not touching my car.
Not sure which steel they used but its higher grade than what they used to use. They did have a problem with back boxes blowing open on the weld and tarnishing badly, the new steel is ment to be a lot better. To be fair the guy who fit mine seemed to know his stuff and didnt go for the easiest route he went for the harder route which had less bends for better flow. Maybe a lot down to the fitter you get.

Ti Rich informed me the standard system is 2.25 so shouldnt really go smaller. Powerflow only do 2 or 2.5 so went for 2.5 and managed to get it for the same price as quoted for 2 inch pipe.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yes.

Too narrow in the middle and you loose low down torque. Too wide and you loose torque mid range and get a loud noise in your ear.

·
Registered
942 Posts

316 SS is rather OTT for an exhaust 304 is more than OK, infact short of needed a shiney end a ferretic SS (e.g 409) is cheaper on shoud last as long. No idea why exhaust manufactures go from CS to Austentic SS without using something in between!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have got a powerflow duplex cat-back exhaust with a de-cat, and its amazin. Its not as quiet as I was expecting at the time but I love it now. Just remember if you get a duplex, you have to add the cost of the bumper heat shield. It is around £50 + the nuts and bolts are £7 for the real ones. Nothing wrong with the quality and the service is excellent from http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/ in scotland. If the other dealers are like them, cant go wrong.

Looks good though I think, well worth it. With an induction kit it sounds like something with twice the power. Also I never get tired of the occasional pop and bang on the overrun. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
75 Diesel Saloon replacement Exhaust

I know that we all will have the problem of replacing the exhaust sometime. I would like a SS but know they are not so quiet. What did Rover recommend as replacement? The more knowledge one has on this forthcoming replacement the happier I'll be...looking forward to some more threads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts