MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First I will praise once more DMGRS - Matt & Scott - for their prompt & efficient service: my order made last Friday (13 Mar) was sent on Monday (16 Mar) & received yesterday (Thursday 19). Indeed I'd paid the princely sum of £29.99 for a quick shipping to the continent, but after all it was barely more expensive than a snail shipping at £23.

Then I must confess that the time of the dreadful HGF is arrived.
Since 3 years about my 25 was loosing very small quantities of coolant but no idea where they were going to: nothing wrong on the ground.
Generally 20cl loss every 2 months. I added a bottle of Bar's leak which made good during one year and a half approx.
But since a few months I was to add 25cl every month, then every fortnight and I even noticed lately that the oil level was going a bit above the maximum.
Hence I decided that it was now urgent to cure the problem for the safety of the car.
Fortunately never ever the coolant temperature has gone above the 90°. I know that in real time thanks to the HUD I'd fitted a long time ago, and never ever there was any lack of coolant: I lifted up the bonnet once a week and topping up every time it was needed. Just a not so efficient engine lubrication in the end, but changing oil once a year with premium brand type has kept the head safe enough.
And as I'd gathered long since nearly everything on the shelves (from DMGRS mainly) I'd just to complete the package with what my good mechanic has asked for last friday:
  • cam cover gasket LVP100630/LVP100631
  • 16 stem seals LUB100350
  • 10 high tensile head bolts WAM2293
Fortunately (but I should not say so...) my good mechanic told me that because of the coronavirus he and his mate were finishing the cars they had to do and that their diary was nearly free for the week(s) to come...
Thus the appointment being booked at once for yesterday (Thursday) remained the biggest problem: how to bypass the lockdown?!
In France now since last Tuesday we have to fill a form which contains only 5 motives to leave home for a short while & in a close perimeter. The absurd of the situation is that even garages were told to remain open, customers are banned to go at them!!!
Then even going away with 2 cars didn't appear as an option.

So here is the plan that was suggested by my better half: as she needs to buy some food and there is a butcher just in front of the garage, she filled the form with one of the few motives allowed and she went and left the car (with the keys of course) in front of the garage with all the bits & pieces needed in the boot, as agreed with the mechanic by phone, without even approaching him closer than 5 meters. Then she went at the butchers and came back home by foot following an alternative way, which is a charming rural lane with very few houses along and nearly (mainly in those circumstances) no traffic. A lovely walk of 4 km (2.5 mls) amidst trees, shrubs & fields. Isn't it charming with an immaculate blue sky and a sunny temperature of 20°?
Even to help her walk, I went out & met her half way, with my own authorization (motive: short physical training in the short distance!).
But I bet that law being reinforced in the immediate days to come will make the come back of the car even trickier.

Anyway that's a great luck for a Rover-holic to live within the countryside in so short a distance from so good a mechanic!
I'm a happy bunny in that awful & scary period even indeed I don't ignore that so many people on earth are not so lucky and living (if they still live...) so dire moments...

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Today my good mechanic sent me pictures of his step by step job on my cylinder head.
I answered him that gave me the feeling I was there in the garage looking at his progress.
And him: "it's teleworking"! :LOL:
Here they are if I'm allowed by the webmaster to upload them all...
Sorry I was told I'd reached the maximum of 10 files... per day? week? month? year? life??? :unsure:
2020-03-20 15.20.22.jpg 2020-03-20 15.20.16-1.jpg 2020-03-20 15.20.10.jpg 2020-03-20 16.50.32.jpg 2020-03-20 16.50.45-1.jpg
2020-03-20 17.03.46-1.jpg 2020-03-20 17.03.36-1.jpg 2020-03-20 17.42.15.jpg 2020-03-20 17.42.00-1.jpg 2020-03-20 17.42.44.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got it: maximum 10 pics per post! (y)
Hence here are his following pictures:

2020-03-20 17.43.07-1.jpg 2020-03-20 17.44.27-1.jpg 2020-03-20 20.09.38-1.jpg 2020-03-20 20.09.30.jpg

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Interesting post. My R25 has the same problem - started to occasionally needs coolant top-ups. I’ve looked around for the leak, including using UV dye, changed the cap, but can’t find anything. Thus I’m planning to do the HG etc as it must be a minor internal leak. I see you’re doing valve guide seals as well - thorough job.

btw the limit is 10 pics per post. If you want more, just start another post with another 10, etc.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,191 Posts
That seems to be a bit of good news amongst all the doom and gloom. I hope you are able to get it fetched back home when the job is completed as easily as it was to get it to there, and that we all get through the current difficulties so that you can once again enjoy a 'proper' drive in the countryside.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting post. My R25 has the same problem - started to occasionally needs coolant top-ups. I’ve looked around for the leak, including using UV dye, changed the cap, but can’t find anything. Thus I’m planning to do the HG etc as it must be a minor internal leak. I see you’re doing valve guide seals as well - thorough job.
You may be in the same boat...

It began indeed with very limited amount of coolant requiring some slight quarterly top-ups: not to be worried about because the concern was each time between max & min.
I'd bought the car in March 2015 and the very first top-up (35cl) I've recorded was in January 2017 after 15k km (10k mls) or thereabouts. TBH the coolant had been changed by my good self in July 2016.
The second one (25cl) occurred 2 months later (Mar 2017) but the mini level had not been reached, I did it to be safe.

Then I dropped in a small bottle of Bar's Leak in April 2017.
Then the 3rd top-up (30cl) in June 2017 and I calculated that the loss was 2cl every 100km.
And so on. No damage for the coolant level was under control every fortnight at worse.
Then I swapped the unleaded Ron 95 for E85 the same month of June 2017. So the coolant loss had obviously nothing to do with the fuel swap because it persisted as usual if I may say so.

Anyway thanks to Bar's Leak the loss was slightly reducing from 2cl to 0.5cl every 100km (September 2017), then to 1.2cl every 100km (Nov 2017), then to 0.3cl / 100km (April 2018). Then coolant change was done in May 2018.

And I was fed up noting top-ups - and so do you reading those lines! ;):LOL:- until I changed the bottle cap in Nov 2019 last, thinking it may be the explanation but it wasn't at all unfortunately. Moreover the loss had increased until even if the problem origin may be the water pump seal as well, the best move should be to swap all the gaskets & the belt kit and the like to be sure to get rid of that now threatening sword of Damocles.

The engine should be back in service at the end of Monday to come as I was told by my good mechanic, who is so perfectionist that he wanted to swap my good double platinum Bosch plugs which I put last 28th of February! A bit worried he was too because I hadn't provided a new exhaust gasket among the heap of items... He hadn't ask me to find one and I hadn't thought it was absolutely essential... He told me he'll try to manage it for the best.
But given the weather forecast is not too nice on Monday, I think I'll do my 4km health walk on Tuesday morning if God & the republican authorities allow me to do so! ;):giggle:

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretty much the same circumstances with mine, but probably more coolant added lately. Hope you manage to get out to get your car back!
Not that sure now because the 'State Council' pushed by medical authorities is to decide a law enforcement today...

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And here are Monday last pics before getting back home the 25 tomorrow:

2020-03-23 18.11.30.jpg 2020-03-23 18.11.43.jpg 2020-03-23 18.15.57.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back home & ready to go... when that awful disease is defeated!

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to see it's ready to go.
Unfortunately nobody is going anywhere.
As the 25 is my wife's daily, thanks to the covid-19 she will become her... weekly for a while!
Despite the lock-down & as we live in the countryside we need at least to go shopping once a week in order to eat, don't we?

Back to the 25, my good mechanic told me that he worked on my Rover as it was his own one, as I'm a special customer, a passionate as he uses to say... He likes to find a good customer who is ever keen to know something every day & appreciate his good work.
In addition to every bits & pieces that were renewed, he changed cam seal & exhaust gasket as well which I didn't provided & he offered for free. Lovely, isn't it?
The whole labour (head gasket & belts kits) costed me 600€ (£550) including a few under bonnet details he wasn't happy with and that he showed me the changes. How meticulous he is about the tiniest bit! (y)

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would be nice to know your mechanic. I am sure we would have many things to exchange.
I think so. And a very kind chap.
But the oddest thing is he isn't sure to say which was the culprit in that coolant loss affair. :unsure:
He even told me that in his 30 years career (or thereabouts) he had once seen a lossy AUDI cylinder head itself.
But in my 25 the pump seal and the inlet manifold gasket were bone dry! The head gasket wasn't that bad, maybe a short suspicious bit but hard to tell with certainty where were going those 25cl a fortnight (only when the engine was working)...
And the oil wasn't that bad either... after around 9 months.
And - important point - no damage at all which might have been done by ethanol within nearly 3 years: pistons & valves (rods & seats) are rather in good condition.
Had you any idea about my coolant loss I would be delighted... :)
Mind that the radiator is new and that no hose is showing any leak... o_O
Next step: keep a very close eye on the coolant level... :geek:

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,452 Posts
If oil level started to rise and you have coolant loss then in my mind there is no doubt coolant started mixing with oil. You will see in following months if you will loose any coolant.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If oil level started to rise and you have coolant loss then in my mind there is no doubt coolant started mixing with oil. You will see in following months if you will loose any coolant.
I agree. You're right: it's obvious (in one way only). But the main concern was to know where and find out evidence: the mystery remains because the mechanic is unsure...
I'd just forgotten another detail: the good man is also racing on circuits with his boss & hence preparing his own engine as well. A must! (y)

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know so far if it's related, but after a full standstill week and on a rather early and chilly morning (less than 5°C), the 25 fired up at once with her full E85 tank. It's a 'grande premiere' because it happened very seldom in such conditions, E85 being a bit difficult to fire up as you may know even with a dedicated kit (unless you have fitted some resistors in the right place, as I did in the V6 & the cabby).
Moreover while it happened more & more often that the engine was tricky to fire up when hot before the whole cylinder head had been rebuilt, today it looks it worked fine as it should have ever been.
Let's see what will occur in the days & weeks to come... :unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Second start up at 9 o'clock this morning: the engine fired up at the first turn.
Temperature wasn't that bad (around 10°C or a tad less) but the engine hadn't worked since a week and the car, even protected by a tunnel, is living outside.
I'm more & more encouraged to think that the starting difficulties were linked to the HGF...
Any ideas?

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,452 Posts
Starting difficulties are usualy linked with IMG when starting from cold since water comes imto st or 4th cylinder. Not sure how I could tie starting difficulties when engine is hot to HGF. Maybe somethingmelse was changed as well which was the culprit to problems with starting when hot.
I would rather look into system installed for E85 and potential for fuel to evaporate when engine components are hot.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts