MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has read my recent posts regarding my leaking fuel tank...

Just had the car shop accept that they cant get a replacement tank quick enough....they dont want to keep forking out for me to drive around in a hire car so theyve conceded that the vehcile they sold me was duff and they're giving me my money back. (plus reimbursing me for the insurance and tax since i purchased!)

I'm just about to buy a 2002 51 plated ZT-T 180 Sport + auto (le mans green) with 43k on clock. (from a different main dealer i might add!!!)

Electric sunroof, Highline sat nav, good condition except for a few things that the dealer is correcting. He's including 12 months warranty, just had two new front tyres and it has two good rear tyres plus a good spare.

Managed to squeeze the price to £6800 including 12 mths MOT and a service.

With the mileage and spec is this a good buy? I did a price check on Parkers and with all the adjustments for extras and mileage the car is spot on according to them....?

Be grateful for your views asap before i part with my hard earned....??

Thnx

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If the car is excellent for it's age then I would say the price is right. What other extras are fitted over standard?

Also remember that the cam belts will need doing between September this year and March next depending on date registered.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
You could have an interesting car there, as the ZT-T 180 Sports Auto wasn't launched until 25th February 2002, which didn't leave there much time to register a car on a 51 plate. It would certainly be one of the very few 51 registered ZT 180 Sports Auto's, in either Saloon or Tourer guise.

It could be one of the first cars to come off the production line and registered by MG Rover - especially if the first letter of the registration number is B*51 ***. The spec would seem to back that up, as it seems to be fully loaded.

Have you any pics or a link to an advert?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If there's an advert then copy and paste the link. If you have pictures then you will need to us photo bucket or similar to attach the photos, or you could become a supporter for £12 and upload direct.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When i loaded the registration number to the parkers price checker it comesback with 2002/51 plate and then the valuation of £6745 including the fitted extras.

Plate prefix is GF so registered in south west london between sept 2001 and feb 2002...?

If it's a fair-to-good buy i'll go for it unless you tell me otherwise chaps...!

:p

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did the deal today and have (provisionally) agreed for the cambelts etc to be changed for £500

Is this all still a good deal...? Should i 'shop' for the cambelt change or wait another couple of k's? (dealer is SMC)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
£500 for the belts is quite good, but when is your car actually six years old? they are not due until 6yrs or 90k and the mileage is currently way under.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update from initial posting!

AT LAST i collected my le Mans thoroughbred! (anyone who's read my other postings will know i've had a nightmare with a previous purchase from The Car Shop!! My advice steer well clear - they dont check what they sell!)

Have to say SMC in Iver Heath have done a seemingly spanking job on mine. Here's a quick recap on the new wagon in case i got anything wrong first-time out!!

• ZTT 2.5 V6 Auto
  • 43k (inc service history)
  • Le Mans Green/Alcantara
  • Highline Sat nav with HK sound
  • Elec sun roof
  • headlamp washers
  • Xenons
  • Heated seats
  • PDC
  • Rear view mirror sensor
  • Auto windscreen wiper sensor
Whilst in very good condition overall managed to haggle to £6800 as there were a couple of jobs which needed doing, namely:
  • New leather panel in drivers lumbar support - usual tears, which they had an upholsterer sew in a new leather panel to replace (incredible job, good as new now)
  • Two bad scratches which needed touch-up - they resprayed! (top-job)
  • Passenger seat mechanism not working - corrected
  • New spare wheel - done
They also did a service including oil/filter change and included a years warranty in the deal

In amongst all the paperwork that came with the log-book was an invoice for a possible faulty head gasket - the invoice listed loads of replaced items and a hefty labour bill - all in all it totalled £2300!!!!!!!!!!! Work was done about 7000 miles ago - should i be concerned? Should a head gasket go at that kind of mileage or will there be something else i should look for? (call me paranoid!)

Finally i negotiated a slightly premature full cambelt change - hence the delay in collection. Did the complete job for £500 - at a discounted rate

So what do you guys think, was the £6800 a fair price after all + £500 (inc vat) for the cambelts?

And what spec is this car, it seems pretty well-loaded with all the toys - is this a normal + spec?

All in all i'm well pleased, so far, and whilst not to everyones taste i like the colour which definately has a degree of standout ;o)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update from initial posting!

AT LAST i collected my le Mans thoroughbred! (anyone who's read my other postings will know i've had a nightmare with a previous purchase from The Car Shop!! My advice steer well clear - they dont check what they sell!)

Have to say SMC in Iver Heath have done a seemingly spanking job on mine. Here's a quick recap on the new wagon in case i got anything wrong first-time out!!
  • ZTT 2.5 V6 Auto
  • 43k (inc service history)
  • Le Mans Green/Alcantara
  • Highline Sat nav with HK sound
  • Elec sun roof
  • headlamp washers
  • Xenons
  • Heated seats
  • PDC
  • Rear view mirror sensor
  • Auto windscreen wiper sensor
Whilst in very good condition overall managed to haggle to £6800 as there were a couple of jobs which needed doing, namely:
  • New leather panel in drivers lumbar support - usual tears, which they had an upholsterer sew in a new leather panel to replace (incredible job, good as new now)
  • Two bad scratches which needed touch-up - they resprayed! (top-job)
  • Passenger seat mechanism not working - corrected
  • New spare wheel - done
They also did a service including oil/filter change and included a years warranty in the deal

In amongst all the paperwork that came with the log-book was an invoice for a possible faulty head gasket - the invoice listed loads of replaced items and a hefty labour bill - all in all it totalled £2300!!!!!!!!!!! Work was done about 7000 miles ago - should i be concerned? Should a head gasket go at that kind of mileage or will there be something else i should look for? (call me paranoid!)

Finally i negotiated a slightly premature full cambelt change - hence the delay in collection. Did the complete job for £500 - at a discounted rate

So what do you guys think, was the £6800 a fair price after all + £500 (inc vat) for the cambelts?

And what spec is this car, it seems pretty well-loaded with all the toys - is this a normal + spec?

All in all i'm well pleased, so far, and whilst not to everyones taste i like the colour which definately has a degree of standout ;o)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts