MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
585 Posts
Got 1 for my daughter as a 1st car a few years back. and always enjoyed a drive in it, Eventually sold it to a neighbour who had liked it ever since it first sat on my drive way. Nice to read a good write up too. In the 3years she owned it. It never missed a beat

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts

·
Premium Member
rover_streetwise
26 Posts
There's a fair few positive articles about the Streetwise around all of which reach the same conclusion - MG Rover were light years ahead of the game in designing this crossover but sadly, as always seemed to be the case, got their timing horribly wrong.

I'm proud to own mine (only had it a month) but agree with everything the author of the HJ article says - it truly is great fun to drive (despite my vehicle having some interesting foibles such as a permanently buzzing fuel pump and no horn at present) and stands out from the crowd. Even in Nottingham, a fairly big city, I've yet to see another.

I also find it incredible just how many modern day cars take their cues from the Streetwise design - the Nissan Juke/Qashqai, Citreon Cactus C4 to mention a few.

I've also seen mentions of the Streetwise having the potential to be a future classic, so I'm glad a reputable site like Honest John has given this great little car the spotlight in these terms.

Other articles FYI

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/road/...hen-rover-got-streetwise/#zd95fIgFSQPQhWfB.97

Unsung Heroes : Rover Streetwise - AROnline : AROnline

Here's one they made earlier: Audi Q3 vs Rover Streetwise - PetrolBlog (great comparison with a very expensive Audi Q3)

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,647 Posts
Not sure about getting the timing wrong - there were several other cars that copied similar styling at around the same time. MG Rover went out of business when the Streetwise had been in production for less than 2 years, so the number sold weren't bad really, and had MGR kept going, I think it would have seen healthy sales and less of the bad-mouthing as time went on and other manufacturers joined in with similarly styled cars.

As to it being "light years ahead of the game" with a beefier looking version of a standard car - not really; Matra beat them to it by over 25 years with the Matra-Simca 'Rancho' version of the Chrysler/Simca 1100.

The Citroen Cactus? - is that the one with the rubber floor mats glued to the doors?? - just imagine the outpouring of bile there would have been from the haters if MG Rover had done that :lol:

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
A nice article and a fair review by Craig Cheetham, who like us is very much a Rover lover. I really liked my Streetwise and agree totally with his comments. It needed to be better built and with a better driving position but it looked great and drove brilliantly.

·
Registered
rover_streetwise
223 Posts
I have had my diesel for 6 years now and have done another 60k miles in it (131K) It has been the best car I have had and am about to fit a new cam belt which will probably cost more than the car is worth..It goes better now than when I bought it ( I've fitted a digimafam...recommended)and get 42mpg round town and 51/3mpg on a journey... I've fitted it out with most available extras ( front rear bumpers light guards spoiler) .and really wonder why MG did not do it in the first place

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.