MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002 TF 135
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

Long story short, after a few years of not driving my TF because of back pain and then surgery, I finally decided last weekend to put it back on the road. After finishing a long and happy couple of hours cleaning and polishing the car, I went and locked the keys in the boot.

No problem, I'll just go and get the spares from the house......can't find them anywhere. After four days of looking I've conceded defeat.

Is it possible to be sent non-destructive details of how to get into boot and retrieve the keys? I'd be eternally grateful if it is do-able and I can put the car away in the garage right away!

Or what are other options? Will an auto-locksmith be able to get in in a non-destructive way? Or who has broken their rear light cluster to get in? I'd be interested to learn if you cut your arm much doing it that way!

Any help much appreciated please and thanks...

Alan

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
A locksmith will pick it.
As you should know, no one is going to tell you how to break into your car- its asked so many times on here, but sorry- it would be irresponsible for anyone to advise.

·
Registered
2002 TF 135
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pat

Before I even posted the question, I naturally searched the forum and some of the threads have indications that members "know" of a way to get in and are prepared to PM someone, on condition that it wasn't their first post and they clearly were owners of a car and not speculative crims.

I have owned my TF since 2004 and have been a members of this forum since 2006 and can happily provide evidence of ownership.

I wouldn't expect (and wasn't asking) for such info to be placed on a public forum for the exact reasons you have mentioned.

Thanks anyway.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Pat

Before I even posted the question, I naturally searched the forum and some of the threads have indications that members "know" of a way to get in and are prepared to PM someone, on condition that it wasn't their first post and they clearly were owners of a car and not speculative crims.

I have owned my TF since 2004 and have been a members of this forum since 2006 and can happily provide evidence of ownership.

I wouldn't expect (and wasn't asking) for such info to be placed on a public forum for the exact reasons you have mentioned.

Thanks anyway.
If it were me, I'd try one of those lock-pick kits (the ones that you get a perspex padlock with- to practice) I see them for about £20 on ebay.

I had an issue last year where one of my bikes was written off , due to being knocked over while parked.Long story, but I needed either a perfect tank or a £500 respray due to the type it was. I struck lucky after 3 months, for a perfect one- but it was locked. My old key, with a bit of fiddling- opened it- enabling me to swap the caps over. If someone is local, this might work?
Im in Maidstone.

·
Registered
2002 TF 135
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well after ringing 4 local auto locksmiths, none of them have anyone available to come out and no date when they may be offering this service again. Guessing they've all been furloughed because lockdown means people aren't using their cars.

I might actually give some thought to ordering a lock-picking kit, then by the time I've opened my two cars, plus families cars and my work colleagues, I'll know how to get into most major makes of car and I can pick up the business the pros are unable to take at the moment!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Sorry I can't help you other than to leave the key search for a few days & then look again, you may suddenly be sat somewhere & think, I remember last time I used them was X.

·
Registered
2002 TF 135
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've spent all my time since last Monday searching the whole house for them and no sign. I don't remember actually ever using the spare set since my back surgery and I was on strong Opiod painkillers for a few months afterwards which made me not very aware of things....I feel certain now that that is the time they were moved/went missing and I didn't realise. And that was 6 years ago!

More chance of winning the lottery!

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
737 Posts
When I locked my keys in the boot, I resorted to breaking one of the rear lamp assemblies. The cost of a replacement was probably similar to what a locksmith would have charged me.

·
Registered
2002 TF 135
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, but as my first post describes, I searched the forum and previous posts have suggested that there is a non-destructive method that has been sent by PM to forum members who are verifiable owners and not just one-post wonders.
I was hoping that someone could PM this method before I went down an expensive or destructive route. If I'm paying money I'd rather go down the locksmith route to get the keys straight back and a usable car, otherwise I would have smashed the rear light by now!

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
As I said, I’d use the lock pick set as it might come in handy later. I’m quite shocked the mobile locksmiths are all furloughed as they are self employed!

·
Registered
2002 TF 135
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I said, I’d use the lock pick set as it might come in handy later. I’m quite shocked the mobile locksmiths are all furloughed as they are self employed!
Not round here they're not!

·
Premium Member
mgf
178 Posts
Hello all

Or what are other options? Will an auto-locksmith be able to get in in a non-destructive way? Or who has broken their rear light cluster to get in? I'd be interested to learn if you cut your arm much doing it that way!

Any help much appreciated please and thanks...

Alan
Alan there is no easy way to unlock the boot. There are security plates around the lock and the keyhole is remote from the latch mechanism and is sealed in heavy plastic. Even as has been mentioned here, smashing the tail light is only to get your key. Not pop the boot lid. There is a way through the interior of the car but again that is only to retrieve your keys. And that way is hours of time (lifting the rear soft top, and removing the engine plate) and you have to have an idea where the keys are in boot. With your obvious back problems this is not a easy exercise. And that is assuming the car is unlocked.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,500 Posts
I suppose this is too late to help but the method for getting into the boot is called the 'Treffen Method' and a search for that phrase and 'mgf' should bring it up on Google. It's not easy. I think it requires someone with slender arms too, ideally. I believe it revolves around the idea of putting pressure upwards on the boot lid from inside the car and getting a spanner through the resulting gap to the hinge bolt heads. Oh, and it's not difficult to get into a locked MGTF if the hood is on (i.e. no hard top) but I will only mention that if asked as there is often someone waiting to denounce anyone who describes how to get into a locked MGF/TF without damage, which kind of ignores the fact that any tealeaf wanting to get into an F/TF with a hood will choose the easier method of slashing the soft top.

·
Registered
classic_mg
26 Posts
Alan there is no easy way to unlock the boot. There are security plates around the lock and the keyhole is remote from the latch mechanism and is sealed in heavy plastic. Even as has been mentioned here, smashing the tail light is only to get your key. Not pop the boot lid. There is a way through the interior of the car but again that is only to retrieve your keys. And that way is hours of time (lifting the rear soft top, and removing the engine plate) and you have to have an idea where the keys are in boot. With your obvious back problems this is not a easy exercise. And that is assuming the car is unlocked.
When I found myself stranded at an airshow, an AA man inserted two envelope sized airbags under one side of the boot lid. After pumping them up , thre was a big enough gap for him tho fish around with something like a bent coat hanger and unlatch it. However I think that edge is now permanently slightly bent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts