·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,113 Posts
Looks OK if a little too low (if it's not been properly lowered) so may need it's suspension pumped up.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
It says A/C in the advert so could very well be a Jap import. most UK F's of this vintage did not have Air con, and am not sure if it was even a cost option?.

·
Never forgotten
8,633 Posts
Having bought an F just a few weeks ago the prices asked are still quite fresh in my mind, seems quite reasonable price wise to me.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Is that bad if it's an import?

overall is it worth £2600? thats what he said he'll accept.
It does not mean it's bad as such, but imports tend to command a premium for insurance...... £2.6K seems a fair enough price as long as the car itself is good..

Your HPI report should confirm if it is an import!.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just spoken to the chap again.
He said it's possibly an import but he has the log book for me to see and check.

Only 1 previous onwer before him.

He said it's low because it has low profile alloys on it......Is this ok???
I guess I'll have to take it a bit slower over those speed humps than I do in my Punto.

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
He said it's low because it has low profile alloys on it......Is this ok???
I guess I'll have to take it a bit slower over those speed humps than I do in my Punto.
Nope, this is not correct ! He maybe let out some hydrogas fluid to lower the car. If it was done properly the car documents must have an entry with lowering knuckles.

Just letting out the fluid will cause damage to the system by time, cos there won't be enough pressure anymore (sp. with my easy words) -> http://www.mgfcar.de/lowering1/index.htm

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The bloke isn't a car dealer.....and he doesnt sound like the type that would work on the car himself.

Anyone live Nr Bexleyheath in Kent and want to look at it with me?

Will pay for your time?

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Sorry to be stupid but whats an HPI report?

Blimey I wish my partner was a mechanic!
£2.6K is a good price, BUT is still a hell of a wedge to lay out if you don't know what you are buying..

If you like the car leave a small deposit then get it AA/RAC inspected, Ok this costs around £150 but will tell you any faults or problems the car has and also includes the HPI report....

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
Viewing the pic on Autotrader it's def. a standard mpi with the standard alloys (I have the same).

The ride height has to be 368 mm +-10 mm front and 363 mm +-10 mm back at 17° C. Have a read in the links above and all will become clearer :)

The suspension should get pumped up followed by a 4-wheel alignment to avoid damage to the units and/or excessive tyre wear.

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
I'd recommend to have a read through Rob Bells buyer's guide - print it out and take it with you.
The ride height is measured from the centre of the wheel to the wheel arch lip vertically above it.

I'd offer my help if I'd live in your area :)

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
The bloke isn't a car dealer.....and he doesnt sound like the type that would work on the car himself.

Will pay for your time?
Erm, Emma Jackman lives in Kent and knows her stuff! You could send her a PM perhaps and ask? :D

·
Registered
5,647 Posts

Will pay for your time?
Try posting over on the F-Register..

One of the local F'ers in that area may be able to look at the car with you, or may even know the car itself..

http://fregister.proboards37.com/index.cgi?board=SEF

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just to compare I think I got a good deal on mine which was:

'99
31k miles
BRG
Mpi
Leather interior
for £2900.

I think this was pretty cheap though because:
1/ I have had to tidy the paint work up (all sorted now :eek:D )
2/ It was February when I bouhgt mine - thus no one is really seeking convertible sports cars then!

So in summary I'd say you're not being ripped off, but if you held out you may be able to get a slightly better deal!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts