MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Going to look at a TF....

1055 Views 12 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Captain Klang
Ive always fancied a TF, but never got round to properly looking for one.

However, in my local classifieds, theres a 02 plate TF in Le Mans Green for £1500. Its just been MOT'd, but tax runs out end of October. He says its in very good condition and has the chrome interior pack.

Only issue is a squeeky belt when starting it, but it goes away after 30 seconds. What could this be? Power steering, cambelt?

Worth a punt?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Won't be the PAS as that is electric, could be the cam belt but I would start with the alternator belt.

Depressing price!
He has just told me its the cambelt that squeeks, then again it has just passed the MOT. Could this be expensive to fix?

Yes it does seem cheap, but Parkers has it down for £1600 with 80k miles. At the moment, I dont know what this one has done.

However, in my local classifieds, theres a 02 plate TF in Le Mans Green for £1500. Its just been MOT'd, but tax runs out end of October. He says its in very good condition and has the chrome interior pack.

Only issue is a squeeky belt when starting it, but it goes away after 30 seconds. What could this be? Power steering, cambelt?

Worth a punt?
Great stuff I hope it turns out fine for you......just keep one thing in mind, just because he says things it doesn't mean it's true, now I'm sure you know thins just wanted to remind you :)

Why did I mention this, because although market value for TF's are at it's lowest I think 1500 is a bloody bargain or should I rather say a f-ing steal IF the car is fine..........be careful that's all............again the best of luck ;)

Worth a punt?
they always do, best way to find out is to see for yourself, take someone who knows about cars if you're not too sure or even AA or RAC

He has just told me its the cambelt that squeeks, then again it has just passed the MOT. Could this be expensive to fix?

Yes it does seem cheap, but Parkers has it down for £1600 with 80k miles. At the moment, I dont know what this one has done.
can't see it being the cambelt more than likely be the alternator belt and if it is will need changing for peace of mind
Cant be cambelt its toothed. it will be the alternater belt, may just need adjusting, but knowing that when an alternater belt goes it often takes the cam belt with it along with valve damage, it would be better to do both belt renewal unless you have proof of when the cambeelt was last done. Then just change the alternater belt.
Sounds to me it's a dry alternator belt. Pretty normal as it's a 'wear and tear' part. Cheap enough to replace, it's one of those jobs that the work is more expensive than the part itself. But I'd renew it just for piece of mind. You could try greasing it a little, but then oyu risk it may slid thorugh the pulleys and not turn alternator properly, sometimes it's done with a little squirt of WD40 or even talcum powder, but only if you're after a quick bodge.

When going to view the car, make sure engine is cold and ask the seller for it to be that way if you're viewing. You'll then want it to hear tickover from cold and it's when some squeaks or noises would appear.

At that price though, can't really ask for much... if the engine runs fine and handles well, even if you've to replace all 4 tyres and new brake pads it's a bargain.
See less See more
I know there is not much 'margin' in £1500.00 for the seller, but worth offering less, say £1400.00, to cover, or go towards, possible belt replacement. Seller can only say no!! If he will not deal, I would say still worth it at £1500.00. Good luck.
be very careful with a TF at a bargain price.

i thought i'd got a bargain with mine but since have had to replace cam belt, water pump, head gasket, rear brake calipers, reverse light switch, heater cable and 3rd brake light wiring.

they can be money pits if you're not careful.

better off paying a bit more for a well cared for example.

if it's cheap then it's cheap for a reason which usually means £££.

mind that said they are fun to drive and great in the summer.

you could always get one cheap and spend the winter getting it up to a decent standard.
See less See more

i thought i'd got a bargain with mine but since have had to replace cam belt, water pump, head gasket, rear brake calipers, reverse light switch, heater cable and 3rd brake light wiring.

you could always get one cheap and spend the winter getting it up to a decent standard.
Very true, good post :broon:

Agreed, but I would always recommend that everyone factors in the cost of a change of all the belts and water pump almost as a must do item unless the cars history proves that it was done recently.
Or Bubbles could be hiding in there :rotflmao:

Seriously though, worth a look and if the condition is as described and the history is there, even with the cost of changing the alternator belt, say an hours labour, or possibly the water pump, say 2 hours, it could still be worth a punt.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.