MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
His replacements are allegedly Nick Reilly (who turned Daewoo around) and Bob Lutz, whom the Germans were reported as saying on tonight's news that he pursued the wrong goals when in charge of development...

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/industrials/article6906710.ece

The chief executive of General Motors’ European operations resigned following the American car company’s decision to retain ownership of Vauxhall and Opel.

Carl-Peter Forster will be replaced temporarily by Nick Reilly, the British head of GM’s international operations. Fritz Henderson, GM chief executive, said that an external search for a permanent chief executive would begin immediately.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Quick, before they find the new CEO tell him to keep the British plants open and close the foreign ones :lol:

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Well spotted pat.

It's not clear to me why he should clear off in such a huff. Has his job changed that much as a result? Had he made big plans for Opel under Magna that would have to be ditched now?

This bit caught my eye:

Meanwhile, Philip Gordon, US Assistant Secretary of State, said yesterday that the Obama administration played no part in General Motors' decision to keep its European division Opel. “The US Government not only was not involved in this decision, but was unaware of it before it was announced,” he said.
That's a bit odd, isn't it? The US government is (AFAIK) the majority shareholder in 'new' GM, so surely they would be involved in such a major decision...

Although if it's true, it does explain why Merkel was not told about the decision, even though she was in the US at the time.

·
Registered
36,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not clear to me why he should clear off in such a huff.
he was obviously a big supporter of the Magna deal and is now tipped for Tata!

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...in-Tata-Motors-Report/articleshow/5207038.cms

FRANKFURT: The European chief of General Motors (GM), Carl-Peter Forster, may switch to Indian car manufacturer Tata, German media reported Saturday.

Forster, 55, is quitting GM after strongly criticising the Detroit-based car giant's surprise U-turn in deciding not to sell European subsidiary Opel.

Tata is reportedly eyeing the GM manager to take charge of its global sales division. A decision was due shortly, sources told German Focus news magazine.

The role would involve launching Tata's budget Nano car in Europe, due in 2011.

Tata also owns the prestigious British Jaguar and Land Rover
brands.

GM confirmed on Friday that Forster was quitting. The former Opel boss had been highly critical of GM's last-minute decision not to sell the German carmaker to Canadian-Austrian car parts manufacturer Magna and their Russian backer, state-owned Sberbank.

·
Registered
36,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Given that under him and his direction the company was significantly loss making, even before the global financial crisis, his departure is probably a good thing for Opel.
I wonder who it is that canned the Magna deal he wanted? not Merkel, not Obama, not the unions...? just Brussels?

77-year-old Bob Lutz looks like he's due to be more of a "chairman" but has been criticised for the "driving GM into the wall" reason...

...so what if Forster says ta ta to Opel and hello to Tata?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
It does seem strange that GM decided at the last moment to cancel the sale. I think there is plenty more behind this story - hopefully it will all emerge in the fullness of time.

Meanwhile, I think there are probably a lot of middle management and senior management within GM and GM Europe with egg on their faces.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts