MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I know I should know this but I dont!
Friend of mine is thinking of buying a Rover, i said id come along.
What checks should I give it apart from the coolant/oil HG topic?
Not really sure what to ever look at when im giving a car the once over.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
im no expert but, from buyin a 200 i can tell you things tht went wrong with mine just after I bought it perhaps itll help

whole exhaust system, check for corrosion , rust & especially blowing ( over 200 pounds cost me for system replacement)

Brake fluid leak via rear cylinders , somewhere near the drums at the back if you feel around & find a lot of brake fluid you know you got a leak.

Cam belt, PAS, Alternator , all were so close to goin on mine at 65 k on the clock. (include water pump )

Rust in boot is another one, but I ve looked at lot of 200's never seen any rust.
Personally I 've had more problem on the wheel arch, as the dirt has collected on the mud flap.

I'd check the fuses too, a lot of mine had been fiddled with when I purchased mine , I didn't notice half of them were wrong amp & had blown. ( which is initially why the immobilser light hadn't been workin, but still stopped me from startin the car. )

Check the lights , the connectors on the lights at the back have a nack for coming out & just stoppin one whole cluster working, nothing major just annoying. Which leads you onto the boot hinge, rust & the wires gettin caught & shorting each other out, ( is discussed a lot on here, although never incountered it myself )

I think thats all I can think of, hope its of some help.

ADDED
I'd check you have the jack an everything with it, I automatically thought it would have it, but the gimp must've lost it ( or most likely sold it on ebay )

my mate just purchased a car & I tried help him change a tyre at work, & some idiot must have used a power tool to put the nuts on as I got extension bars & my tools & still couldn't get it off, if you have a blow out & can't change the tyre you not goin to be happy.

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
take a trorch and screw driver with u have a chek of the break pads at the front check the cv,s and drive shafts. check all fluid levels ect check the boot and front foot wells for water check all electrics including wipers

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
alt said:
OK I know I should know this but I dont!
Friend of mine is thinking of buying a Rover, i said id come along.
What checks should I give it apart from the coolant/oil HG topic?
Not really sure what to ever look at when im giving a car the once over.

Is this a Mk3 bubble (R3) or an Mk2 (R8).

Either way HGF is the main thing to look for. Second to that listen for gearbox noises, could be minor but I would walk away as there are plenty of ones that won't have any noises. Apart from that look for rust. Walk away as rust on rovers of this era is fecking unusual. Other than that look for general stuff you would check on any car.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Also check rear suspension bushes on wedges (dunno if they are still a problem on bubbles) and listen for gearbox whine and clutch judder, (both common problems on wedges). Check for rear electrical problems (very common on bubbles), and rust in the tailgate hinges on bubbles too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts