MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will soon be taking my rover 25 1.4 to longlife for an exhaust system to be made up. I was planning on adding a decat and seeing if they can deburr? my manifold also as i have read various threads that this can help free up the engine a bit, may as well get that done by them at the same time. But as i have said from looking through threads i am not sure whether it will be best to have a de-cat or get them to put me on a sports cat. What sort of gains should i expect from either, with a bmc induction kit

Any replies appreciated gav

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
The decat and sports cat will offer similar gains. Both will offer about 1-2bhp. IMO, not really worth it.

Also with a decat, you will have to put the cat on each time the car goes for an MOT, Or if you get pulled over and get a random emissions test.

If I were you, I'd get the exhaust made up just as a back box. Don't bother with a cat back. You'll be wasting your money.
Unless you're going for quads or something, then you may need a cat back because of the size of the pipework involved.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply i know it will only give small gains but surely it will be worth it when combined with a cold air induction and asking if they can deburr my manifold as i know it isnt at all worth getting the 4-2-1 manifold for the 1.4. A backbox would be even more pointless imo i may as well get a push over which would look really bad im still would like to know if anyone has had a similar kind of system on their 1.4 and what gains they achieved ?? there are so many different views on here im not planning on anything major on my car just ways to free up a couple of ponies plz

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any one going to help me any further i just need pointers as there are so many pointers as to what to put on a sports cat or a decat i know with a de cat u will need to put it back on for an MOT, i also know its pointless putting on a 4-2-1 manifold on the 1.4 but someone must have done something similar i just wanted to know the gains from it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
personly i wouldnt decat it as the gains arnt worth having to put the cat back on for mot. having put a sports cat and 4-2-1 manifold on my 1.6 bubble i wouldnt bother with that either (way too pricy and virtualy no gain). as stiff said id just go for the back box, then you get an exhaust you like the look and sound of relativly cheap. you can always get a straight through intermediate pipe if you want it a bit louder.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i need a new cat anyway because im sure mine is nackerd as there is a tesco shopping bag that absolutely stinks attached to it. I still find it hard to believe that just fitting a back box is better than a de-cat or sports cat with the cold air induction a back box on its own not even cat back will be just like a standard back box imo but hey i know nothing

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
i need a new cat anyway because im sure mine is nackerd as there is a tesco shopping bag that absolutely stinks attached to it. I still find it hard to believe that just fitting a back box is better than a de-cat or sports cat with the cold air induction a back box on its own not even cat back will be just like a standard back box imo but hey i know nothing
Jesus, your post is hard to read. Try using punctuation.

If you're after power, then you might aswell ditch the 1.4 and get something faster. If you don't want to do that, then yes. A cat back system will give more power. Adding a decat will also free up some power. But, IMO for the effort involved its just not wort it.

If you're after noise and looks a backbox will be fine.
A back box would look loads better than a bolt on tailpipe.

The only reason I said just get a backbox is because for the money, a cat back system just isn't worth it. I had one on my Rover 214 (same engine as yours), and I noticed no gains whatsoever. I should add that my cat was fried. Where I drove it hard (and I did. A lot!) the stuff inside had disappeared, effectively giving the same result as a decat.

As a rough guess, a decat, deburred manifold and cat back exhaust system will give about 5bhp. You won't even notice that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts