MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked by my solicitor to get a report from a dealer re my TF. I argued with her that as my TF was only 6 weeks old when I was hit front-on in 2004 by the woman we're taking to court, my car immediately depreciated in value as no matter how well it was repaired during the six weeks it was off the road, it was now 'accident damaged' which would put off any potential buyers should I have decided to sell it back in 2004 after the accident. Bear in mind also that any checks on the car history would bring up this point as not only are we still fighting the claim but I called the police to the scene of the accident as I knew I needed official corroboration on the position of the cars and wanted the other driver breathalised.

My solicitor said to go to a dealer and ask them to write a report along these lines if they agree with me. What sort of things can I say to my local garage in order to get them to agree with my point re the depreciation of my car and what sort of damage would you - as a fictional potential buyer of my TF - be worried about when looking at buying a car which had been hit in a low speed front-on collision such as this?

I do have photographs of the damaged vehicle to show the dealer the extent of damage caused.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Andie, I had an interesting conversation with one of our suppliers yesterday on a not too dissimilar subject. A work mate of his had ran into the back of another car almost 3 years ago. He recently received a letter from the solicitor representing the person he hit saying that the owner was trying to sell the car, but because they had to declare the car had been in an accident to potential buyers, it had reduced the cars value by £6K (in was a Merc of some sort). They then said that they were intending to sue the guy for this £6K. He gave the letter to his insurers and they dealt with it.
TBO I have never heard of this before, but if you can prove that your car has been devalued as a result of one or both accidents, it could be an avenue worth exploring.

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
Some people will be concerned about any damage, right down to a slight scratch, to a car that they're buying, and then others don't care as long as it's been repaired well. Take Wiggles for example, he was nicked and then plouged into something resulting in a buckled bonnet and smashed nearside light. I knew all this and it didn't affect my desicion to buy in the slightest.

Most dealers you go to and you tell them that it's been acident dammaged and you wanted to trade in, would do the old sucking air through the teeth and saying "Ohh, that's going to knock it down, love" so you should find it quite easy to get a garage to aggree that accident damage has affected the potential resale value of Aphrodite.

This is based on my own personal experience with my car, and seeing things in the garage here, so it's only one view from one dealer.

Hope it helps, Andie.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Andie B said:
......What sort of things can I say to my local garage in order to get them to agree with my point re the depreciation of my car.....
You could try one of two methods:

1) "Here's £20. Now this is what I want you to write!"

or

2) "Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, not around the eyes, just into my eyes. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, You're back in the room." "Now this is what I want you to write!"

:getcoat:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts