MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
classic_rover
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's 10 years ago now that most Rover's across all the ranges were first fitted with airbags, and it says in the owners handbooks that all of the SRS system should be overhauled and the airbags should be replaced every 10 years. Now, with single airbags costing more than the value of the average 10 year old Rover, is anyone actually going to bother?

I personally would prefer to be able to disconnect it altogether but it seems the VOSA, the Government run Vehicle Operations Agency wants to make it part of the MOT, which could mean making airbag replacement at 10 years old mandatory. If this did happen, then it would mean almost all 10 year old cars would be heading for the breakers yard, as the economics of it would be unsustainable for most owners.

And that would be a big bonus for the Government as well as the Environmentalists, as it wouldn't be legislation that means car over 10 years old would have to be scrapped, it would be the price of the parts that causes it.
Kev.

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
That would be an utter waste of some cars with a lot of life left in them.

What would happen to cars which were not fitted with Airbags when built? Would they automatically fail the MoT?

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
SFulcher said:
What would happen to cars which were not fitted with Airbags when built? Would they automatically fail the MoT?
No, probably not, it would be like most things on the MOT - if it wasn't fitted at manufacture and isn't practically/technically retrofittable it doesn't matter - basically if it was legal when it was made and can no longer be illegal - otherwise there would be a requirement for all cars to meet the same emissions requirements for example.

Think back to rear seatbelts - if they aren't fitted then it is no illegal for your rear occupants not to be wearing them. I believe the same rule applies even to cars without front seatbelts but there will be very few of them on the roads.

I don't know if airbags are a legal requirement or not - I mean is there a requirement that even the newest MUST have an airbag system?? If there isn't, the complete removal of the system can't be illegal. The only thing that could be at fault is that the car is modified from the specification but I suppose you could always get the car reclassified by the DVLA.

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
SFulcher said:
That would be an utter waste of some cars with a lot of life left in them.

they would be exempt from the rule as there are still bits in there spersificaly for cars from befor 1905 ect

1 - 5 of 5 Posts