MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having had my 190 a while now doing quite a lot of motorway running, what gearboxes do they use as really missing a 6th gear :( seems to rev very high at motorway speeds

just wondering if there is anything that could be swapped from another or anywhere that could do a gearbox into a 6 spd??

·
Registered
922 Posts
having had my 190 a while now doing quite a lot of motorway running, what gearboxes do they use as really missing a 6th gear :( seems to rev very high at motorway speeds

just wondering if there is anything that could be swapped from another or anywhere that could do a gearbox into a 6 spd??
Yep agreed, could do with a 6th and 7th gear. In 5th it's right in the power zone.

But having said that, at 70mph in 5th, no need to change down to overtake

Pulls like a train all the way to ***mph.......................

·
Registered
mg_zt
123 Posts
The 190's had a shorter ratio gearbox to help get the 0-60 time down. The 'box in the 160 has slightly longer legs and is better for cruising.

I suppose you could fit a 160 'box into a 190 but then you'd loose low-down acceleration in favour of top-end speed and cruising ability. Choices choices..... ;)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The 190's had a shorter ratio gearbox to help get the 0-60 time down. The 'box in the 160 has slightly longer legs and is better for cruising.

I suppose you could fit a 160 'box into a 190 but then you'd loose low-down acceleration in favour of top-end speed and cruising ability. Choices choices..... ;)
Agreed, my 160 V6 is very relaxed at 70 - 80 mph.

90 sees it hit the the 1st VIS so feels a bit more "up for it".

Gearing is pretty long, had 1** in 4th!:getcoat:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
think might just take it in and have the final ration altered then :)

can anyone tell me the ratios on the 190 and the 160`s please :)

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
think might just take it in and have the final ration altered then :)
I wasn't aware you could change the final drive. What does that involve?

I made up this table a little while back comparing the geared speeds for the 75 vs. ZT. The 75 has the same final drive as the ZT 160.

I'd rather have the ZT 190's final drive ratio because around town in my 75 @ slow speeds it's hard to know whether to be in second or first. In first the revs are too high & in second the revs are too low.

What gears do 190 drivers use around town..?

·
Registered
922 Posts
What gears do 190 drivers use around town..?
As high a gear as possible really.

I use 2nd for pulling away on the flat and down hills. 3rd gear for any corner no matter how slow and get into 5th as soon as possible and use the throttle very very gently.

It's a gem of an enginer, very flexible at low and high ends of the rev range.

Also do a lot of 3rd to 5th, or 2nd to 4th changes if I am at the right speed.
The engine does it so smoothly, it's like driving an auto. Few gears from standstill, get to 5th and leave it there. Easy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its always the low down torque that amazes me, can be in 5th at steady 35-40 and she just pulls up hill down hill anywhere, no need really to drop down

would prefer a 6 speed box though might get some real good motorway mpg then :)

·
Registered
922 Posts
its always the low down torque that amazes me, can be in 5th at steady 35-40 and she just pulls up hill down hill anywhere, no need really to drop down

would prefer a 6 speed box though might get some real good motorway mpg then
Oh easily, without a doubt, 6th is the most missing thing on the 190, it's a crying shame.

But the one thing the 135 diesels (or 160's) cannot do, is pull away in 5th at low down speeds in the way the 190 does.

No turbo lag with us. Just sheer low down grunt that the V6 higher cube'd engine gives and pulls all the way to that kick in the teeth the 24 valve quad cams gives us higher up the rev range :happy:

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
would prefer a 6 speed box though might get some real good motorway mpg then :)
Agreed. In the late nineties six speeds weren't rear. So MG-Rover could've installed one for their flagship car!

Just sheer low down grunt that the V6 higher cube'd engine gives and pulls all the way to that kick in the teeth the 24 valve quad cams gives us higher up the rev range :happy:
The 2.5 V6 might be higher cube'd than the diesel & 1.8s. But in the V6 world it isn't that big. I suspect most Aussies would consider it a small capacity Vee. The KV6's strong hand is it's quad cams, 24 valves & all aluminum construction.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts