MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am struugling to remove one of the bolts around the gear box casing, in order for me to sell the engine.

can anyone recomend a way to do this, its the one at the topalso held part of the engine mount on if that helps.

also how do i disconnect driveshafts?

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
I have had to use an impact gun to remove gearbox-to-engine bolts in the past.

Borrow as many socket extensions as you can, rest the ratchet end on an axle stand and use a long pole for leverage.

To remove driveshafts place a large screwdriver/chisel between the inboard cv joint and the gearbox housing, a sharp prising actionaway from the box will release the shaft.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If your going to have to use that many extension bars / long levers make sure to get yourself a Hex socket and not the usual multi point socket. The Hex socket won't round the corners off the bolt under really high torque.

·
Registered
rover_25
188 Posts
driveshafts

i am struugling to remove one of the bolts around the gear box casing, in order for me to sell the engine.

can anyone recomend a way to do this, its the one at the topalso held part of the engine mount on if that helps.

also how do i disconnect driveshafts?
1) undo the large hub nut
2) remove the hub
3a) you can either undo the clip on the inner cv joint boot and slide out the whole driveshaft
or
3b) use a flat lever or a large screwdriver between the gearbox and the cv joint and prise the two apart.

hope this helps you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts