MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need to change the gearbox in my R25 Vi engine 1.8VVC 2001 year of production, and I wonder if the gearbox from other R25 with smaller engine will fit in too my model?

Are the gearbox the same for all the petrol engines?

Please help

best regards

Filip

·
Registered
mg_zs
718 Posts
Hi,

I need to change the gearbox in my R25 Vi engine 1.8VVC 2001 year of production, and I wonder if the gearbox from other R25 with smaller engine will fit in too my model?

Are the gearbox the same for all the petrol engines?

Please help

best regards

Filip
is trhere any reason why you are changing it.
if you want a pg1 gearbox from a zr160 1.8vvc let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is trhere any reason why you are changing it.
if you want a pg1 gearbox from a zr160 1.8vvc let me know.
Yes, its a little bit broken, because the fifth gear is jumpnig out, i checked the oil and its full,

This gearbox that you are offering, how much do You want for it?

Filip

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is one problem, the distance, I'm in Poland and you are?
200 euro wolud satisfy you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
r65 and pg1, are they the same?
Where can I find some info about them?
I really need to change the gearbox, driving with this problem is very uncomfortable
Thanks for any information

Filip

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
All 1.8 engines had the PG1, the 1.6 and under used the R65.
Not though about having yours rebuilt if you can't locate a replacement?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'd ask around for prices for a rebuild, personally.

In terms of finding a second hand unit, I'm not sure what Rovers made it over to Poland! The PG1 is quite a common gearbox though, as well as the 1.8 Rovers, it can also be found on the wedge shaped 220, 420 and 820 in both nasp and turbo versions, and the 620ti, ratios would be slightly different of course, but a 220 nasp box shouldn't be too far off. 820 box would be lower geared, with quite a jump between 3rd and 4th.

If it's the difference between having a car you can drive and no car at all, I'm sure slightly different ratios won't be too much of a problem! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is my story:)

I bought the car from switzerland, the guy was his first owner, after I made aobut 300 miles I realize that something wrong is with the gearbox, when I check the oil level, there wasn't not even a drop, the gearbox was bone dry.

So now I'm searching for another one, I must say that the gearbox handle the bad conditions with out the oil, but the last 5th gear is in my opinion broken.

My mechanic in Poland said that this type of gearbox for model with engine 1.8 VVC is specialy reinforcement this mean it is made from special materials, better ones that others gearboxes, is that true?

To make sure, in Rover 25 with engine 1.8 VVC from 2001 year there is PG1 gearbox, and that type I must looking for?

Thanks to all of You for any feedback

Best regards

Filip

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
How much are you willing to pay for a gearbox? Slashformayor has a quantity of brand new boxes that will fit. £225 each IRC. Postage to Poland will be high, but if you're willing to pay it then PM slash for details.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts