MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
car - 216 sli '97

well, here I am yet again inquiring about a possible gearbox problem, basically its getting difficult to change into 1st and 2nd gear, and vis versa, its really stubborn, sometimes it will take like 3 or 4 seconds b4 it will go into gear!!!
another thing is should the car be a bit stubborn with the clutch as well, e.g i pull off in 1st but I find i have to ride the clutch a bit in order for the car not to stall at about 2k revs, and the other day, i was gonna blow my m8 away at the lights and the clutch actually stuck!!!

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
It's normal for 1st and 2nd to be a little stubborn. Don't try and put the car into first when moving. It's apparantly designed to prevent this. After I learned this I find it much easier to use first gear.
When coming to a stop gently push the car into first gear and it will pop in when the car almost stops or let the car stop completely, declutch then push into 1st gear.
Do it before and it will resist.

Second can be tricky sometimes depending an which gear you were in at the time. Usually I find on cold mornigs it can resist a little going from 1st to 2nd, but usually better when warm and can sometimes be a bit stiff going from 3rd to 2nd, howver if I declutch first or let the car slow before putting it in second it usually goes in without too much effort.

As for the clutch that is just a normal Rover clutch. I made a simple mod to mine to cure this.
I used to have to slip the clutch to pull away smoothly or the car would either jerk away or nearly stall.
The biting point on the 200 is pretty high, so it causes you to let it out too quickly as it rises. Pivoting your foot rather than lifting your foot helps.

If you want to have a look at the mod I did check the link below. It helps with the clutch and also makes gear changes smoother.
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=58806

1 - 4 of 4 Posts