MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the gearbox goes bang, does it take out any other parts with it?

I think it's the gearbox that's died. Last night I went around an island in 1st red lining and it made a few clunks and swiftly came to a halt. When I got out the car there was a stream of oil. The gearbox is stuck in 1st and wont budge. Does this sound like a dead gearbox? I'll get some pics of the underneath of the car shortly.

Ste

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Bang...lol. Most likely gearbox. Does the oil smell acrid? Are the driveshafts still in the gearbox?
Whip it out and put a known good second hand one in if it's knacked. Be worth doing the clutch at the same time.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The oil smells rank. It's spread to the inside of my car.
Yeah mate, the driveshaft is still in play. I've took some pictures but I don't think they're of any use. They're either blurred or of the cat.
Gonna get onto my scrappy now see if I can find a good one.

·
Registered
176 Posts
deffs the gearbox mate. I'm on my 3rd gearbox and the second one that went went like yours... Only i snapped it clean off the mount lol. And this gearbox is grinding in reverse as well so i think its 4th gearbox hear i come!

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Sutty88 said:
deffs the gearbox mate. I'm on my 3rd gearbox and the second one that went went like yours... Only i snapped it clean off the mount lol. And this gearbox is grinding in reverse as well so i think its 4th gearbox hear i come!
Crikey 3rd gearbox, what do you do red line in every gear all the time!?

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Yeah sounds like somethings gone in the box, you might be lucky and only have to have something replaced, and not a complete overhaul.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Rover_King said:
Crikey 3rd gearbox, what do you do red line in every gear all the time!?
Not all the time but the second gearbox got put in wrong which caused that 1. I blame the big wheels :D lol

Could it be the gearbox oil as the gearbox is noisy when the clutch is up, but yet when you press the clutch down it goes away! Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,926 Posts
Sutty88 said:
Not all the time but the second gearbox got put in wrong which caused that 1. I blame the big wheels :D lol

Could it be the gearbox oil as the gearbox is noisy when the clutch is up, but yet when you press the clutch down it goes away! Any ideas?
That is a sign of bearing wear. It is esssential to ensure that gearbox lubricant levels are kept up to manufacturer recommended. So check 'em. Worn seals can mean a progressively S-L-O-W loss of lubricant and when the level gets too low .... you fill in the dots!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I've priced the two diff bearings ..
they are around £11 a piece thru my contacts.

From looking at mg Johns strip down pics ...the gearbox is assembled like a Japanese motorbike box...but without the sequential aspect and "looks" strait forward.......more strait forward than previous iron rear wheel drive boxes I've done ..............

Wondering why car gearboxes don't all take on the Japanese bike sequential idea on-mass .......as it's so simple and almost bullet proof.

Well that's just my observations .........next weekend will tell you all.

Wonder why a remote clear reservoir couldn't be hooked up to it to ...to show level all the time.

Quick to check ..when bonnet is opened.

all the best..mark

·
Registered
rover_600
937 Posts
Try a gearbox place,if you can remove box yourself they can be quite reasonable-I got diff bearings and seals done on mine for about £90 all in & they had it done in 2hrs (620ti),better to get box fixed then mess about with secondhand stuff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts