MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi TYPE B seal install dry or coat with oil? As I understand they are wax coated so no oil to be used, yes??

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,317 Posts
I've looked in the gearbox workshop manual and and I can't see any reference other than "fit a new seal" but other seals such as the cam shaft seals are coated and should not be oiled so it wouldn't be a surprise if it is the same in this case.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've looked in the gearbox workshop manual and and I can't see any reference other than "fit a new seal" but other seals such as the cam shaft seals are coated and should not be oiled so it wouldn't be a surprise if it is the same in this case.
Hi I fitted the seal yesterday, after opening the poly bag it was in it seemed to be coated in a mist of oil. So after fitting I put a bit more on it and the shaft, now all I have to do is torque everything up. Prior to removing the old seal I sprayed the area with Jizer waited a while then steam cleaned it off, what a difference that made. So if it goes again I will not oil the replacement. Thanks for your input. Regards.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi again, I read through the gearbox chapter in the W/S manual and it does say to oil the seal and shaft. So hopefully it should be ok. Regards.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi I fitted the seal yesterday, after opening the poly bag it was in it seemed to be coated in a mist of oil. So after fitting I put a bit more on it and the shaft, now all I have to do is torque everything up. Prior to removing the old seal I sprayed the area with Jizer waited a while then steam cleaned it off, what a difference that made. So if it goes again I will not oil the replacement. Thanks for your input. Regards.
Hi again, I'm thinking of changing the selector shaft seal now. Will I have to drain the gear box?? Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts