MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
rover_25
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
trust me i got the number of bolts right... took me half a day to find em all as one or two were hiding behind the drive shaft i seem to remember

u need to remove the starter motor otherwise there wont be enough room to get the box out

coop

·
Registered
rover_25
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
just noticed that the jnx guy only ever posted once on the entire forum. and hasnt been back on since so i guess he wasnt too sure about himself

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
You really should tighten these things with a torque wrench for peace of mind
I wouldn't want anything loose or overtightened while driving

You can do it on a drive way but some tools make it easier

I did it a few days ago with basic tools like a torque wrench and socket wrench kit.
Also used axel stands, the basic car jack with a block of wood to support the engine and a trolley jack ( £35 or so from Halfrauds ) to support the gearbox and help lower and lift it

( a hoist would have made it alot easier I'm sure but the jack worked fine with one hand to use it and my other holding the gearbox steady )

·
Registered
rover_200_95_99
134 Posts
I got a trolley jack + axel stands for about 20pounds on craigslist. However 1 axel stand is very stubbern and I am doubting if it even works.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Best replace if in doubt about an axel stand mate

Do check also that you have the right clutch
I bought one with the wrong number of splines and mate... I just wanted to kick the car over

Happy I kept at it, so far the car now runs perfectly

BIG thanks to Cooper1200 for this guide and the pics
Was a massive help

·
Registered
rover_25
2 Posts
I need to replace my clutch on Rover 25. Nice guide but have a few questions.

Did you work under the car or from the top?

How long did it take you?

How much did it cost you compared to taking it to a garage? Where did you buy your clutch kit from?

·
Registered
30 Posts
R65 clutch lever bushes

Please don't yell at me for necroning this thread. Just wanted to say thanks!

Great tutorial! Been very helpful in removing my R65 from my 2002 MG ZR 105. Bloody thing snapped the clutch cable, but still wouldn't work after I replaced it.

I chose not to remove the battery holder (bolts? More like rusted stubs) and removed the ball joint from the lower suspension rather than undo the anti roll bar and steady bar due to past experience. On my 1998 Rover 220 SDI and 2001 MG ZR TD+ they were seized solid.
Still had to disconnect the steady bar just to remove the gearbox from under the car.

If I were to do it again, I'd jack it up higher! I'd also remove the drive shafts completely. After all the driveshaft nuts aren't expensive and prevents straining the CV joints.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
I used this excellent guide a few years ago when replacing the gearbox and clutch on a Rover 214 (bubble). Unfortunately the pics have been blurred by Photobucket. The picture diary I posted may be of help to someone when doing a similar job:

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Well done you @gnu! Very clear & comprehensive pictures in your how to. Photobucket is a very plague with those large adverts on their pics or those dam..d blurred effects! :mad:
I don't think I'll do that myself any day but who knows anyway it should be helpful to brave owners.
Thank you for sharing. That's all this friendly forum is about! (y)

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Well done you @gnu! Very clear & comprehensive pictures in your how to. Photobucket is a very plague with those large adverts on their pics or those dam..d blurred effects! :mad:
I don't think I'll do that myself any day but who knows anyway it should be helpful to brave owners.
Thank you for sharing. That's all this friendly forum is about! (y)
Yeah, a real shame about Photobucket. It mean lots of guides like the Cooper1200 being talked about here is devalued as you can't see the pics clearly. I've re-hosted some of my blurred the Photobucket images on this site. However, there's a software fault with the VS sites that limit you to editing 10 posts in 7 days, but it never resets so once you've edited 10 posts that's it! I've been seeing if Admin can solve it, but they are waiting for a software fix... If this is ever done I'll re-host a few key pics and close my Photobucket account.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts