MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gearbox has failed... and I need a quote to see if the dealership is ripping me off or not.

They have quoted £1396 + VAT to replace the gearbox with a reconditioned model (Valeo).

HELP!!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
well i got a reconditioned box from rovaparts and dispite it pissing oil over my clutch and a bit of a fight to get it replaced, i spent 250 quid, just tell him that you have heard about me and the arguaments and you might get a discount??

Failing that they are about 90 from a breakers and then about 120-15- to fit, might as well stick a new clutch in at the same time

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My problem is that the gearbox is covered by the warranty I got with the car when I purchased it second hand from CD Bramall.

My dealership was since bought out by Anthony Betts who told me they couldn't authorise the warranty and I would have to take the car to CD Bramall MG Rover in Aylesbury.
I took the car to Aylesbury and they have had the car since (7 March) while I've had their courtesy car.
They diagnosed the fault almost immediately and set about authorising the warranty only to find out it was bought over from CD Bramall by Anthony Betts when they took over the dealership. Anthony Betts are alleged to have taken a very long time to acknowledge the warranty and further more apparently required proof from CD Bramall that they owned the warranty.
I am now at the stage where after pressing the dealership every few days they have finally responded that they will carry out the repair, but that the repair will cost £1396 so could cost me £396 even if the warranty does cover the repair (£1000 maximum claim).

They have been friendly and polite at every stage, but this has taken a VERY long time with nothing being done.

Furthermore, I phoned my previous dealership (Anthony Betts) for a quote and they have quoted £1040 for the gearbox replacement.

I am starting to feel that they are taking me for a ride.

Anyone know where I stand... what I should do next?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, just to collect the car will cost me around £500 for them to reassemble the gearbox onto the car so I can drive it elsewhere.

Even if someone collects the car it will cost me £236 for the labour of taking it apart.

·
Registered
57 Posts
thats pricey!

From a lot of ragging my 200 i ruined the gearbox and the clutch. i got a 2nd hand one fitted and the clutch for just over £300.

done around 7k and no probs yet! go to some little garages that can get hold of 2nd hand parts and who rnt gonna try and get you to sell a arm and a leg for it!

Alex.

·
Premium Member
79,081 Posts
Enak said:
Also, just to collect the car will cost me around £500 for them to reassemble the gearbox onto the car so I can drive it elsewhere.

Even if someone collects the car it will cost me £236 for the labour of taking it apart.
WHAT THE FCUK? Just to remove the gearbox?

That's robbery..

·
Premium Member
79,081 Posts
Jeez, I'm seething here, that's a crazy amount of cash - pity - some poor sods must pay it.

Agreed - a recon box would cost in the region of £400ish, plus a clutch.......

Ask them to treat your car as they would treat one of their sales cars - do they fit NEW gearboxes to their sales car during pre sale prep (if a gearbox fault was noted)?

·
Premium Member
79,081 Posts
214 Si Mod'd said:
:lol:
Yer major my box would be gr8!!

See through top, so you can even see the cogs go round..... Until 2 mins later they all go t!ts up and go flying everywhere lol's :_poke:
Yeah, I reckon that would be a great mod - get it ready for the next Waterman?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.