MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I've never really liked the fake plastic hex bolts on the gear surround. I set about changing them for real stainless hex bolts today. Not sure whether it looks better or worse. The plastic ones are shown in the inset picture, with the replacement stainless ones in the main pic.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
oo nice! i dunno if it looks better tho! in my opinon, looks good on it's own but with all the other bits around you in the interior it wud look better with more chrome or slier inside the cabin. nice idea tho! as they do look kinda cheap! =)

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bit of a conundrum really Pete, as the diameter of the holes is just under M5, but the holes for the head of the hex bolts is more like an M7. This is why there is more room around the M5 bolts I used.

The bolts are M5x8 Stainless Hex Socket caps, with an M5 flat washer underneath. They are held in place by the threads alone, but I suppose I could put a plain nut on the back, but they have to be short to avoid fouling on the trim inside.

The old plastic bolts are held in place because the shaft of the bolt has a lip at the end which locks it over a plastic spring clip. I have attached a picture.

To get the trim bolt off, I trimmed the lip off it using a scalpel and pushed it out.

Yigit, I will try to get a better picture up later.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
iaross said:
Oooh nice! I like chrome!

Where and how much if you don't mind me asking?
Thats what I was thinking!!..

Have never seen this surround before so perhaps its a `one-off`..

I know its possible to get ABS plastic `chromed` as one one of our local TFers had his side vent covers done!.....

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
roy bridge said:
I should have known!!!!!!!
HHHmmmm `Spooky`........ we dont here here from you for months, then as soon as I do a post re your TF chrome side vents.......... up you POP!!!..

Also......Are you going to Tatton on Sunday??.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually Mark, the surround on my TF is metal - granted it looks like painted plastic, but its actually brushed Ally. The hex bolts are plastic - at least mine are now Stainless!

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
iaross said:
Actually Mark, the surround on my TF is metal - granted it looks like painted plastic, but its actually brushed Ally. The hex bolts are plastic - at least mine are now Stainless!
If its Alloy then its a doddle to get the above `chrome` look finish...

Wire wool and Autosol will have it `gleaming` in no time!!!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Marl.L said:
HHHmmmm `Spooky`........ we dont here here from you for months, then as soon as I do a post re your TF chrome side vents.......... up you POP!!!..

Also......Are you going to Tatton on Sunday??.
Only just got "compewturised" again. Had to get a newwie, think I'd been using the wrong Paraffin in the old one. Expect a posting Blitz!

Planning to go to Tatton, up to now, and also the MGCC bash at Oulton Park on Saturday.

·
Registered
mg_tf
18 Posts
The chrome surround was done by MGF centre. It is chromed and on mine the bolts were alloy as well so the whole shooting match was chromed. I don't know what the charge will be for any future surrounds that Victoria has done will be, as mine was a prototype and she didn't know what itr would look like so she did it for cost. But i think it looks very good

1 - 20 of 30 Posts