MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Well I got my car back yesterday, finally, replacement engine is fine!

However, when I try to change into 1st, 3rd and 5th, it feels like something is stopping me doing so, however it is in fact in gear. Also 50% of the time, when I engage 1st gear it jumps out. I did 50 miles last night in it, and the gear change seemed to improve about 20%, on the way to work this morning it still wasn't right and jumped out of 1st twice.

The mechanic said that when they had the engine out they relubricated the gearbox (Don't know which bits) and all the mechanics of it, so not to be too heavy when changing gear and the gear change will improve over time when the lub has worked itself around all the parts.

Is this true?!

Or has something not been put back right or set right, e.g has the synchro's been disturbed or not set right?!

The gear change has improved but only slightly, and when putting it in 1st, 3rd and 5th when the engine is off and the clutch pedal down, it makes a knock noise and you can feel the knock through the pedal, is the gear change been obstructed in any way, cause it never used to do that before, in fact the gearbox was perfect before I sent it in!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
When I had a new gearbox on the coupe, 2nd gear wasn't right. Needed a lot of force to get it in to and out of gear. Rest of the box was fine.

I had a look, and there's a sort of counter weight at the top of where the gearshift comes in to the back of the box. This was rubbing against a metal bracket when selecting 2nd.

I moved the bracket up slightly, and gearshift was perfect. Might be worth getting someone to sit in the car and change between 1st and 2nd, see if you can see the counterweight thing hitting or fouling on anything.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
similar to mine then, after the clutch was done on my 214, gear change was heavy, had a friend change while looked under bonet, and it was catching some bracket had been bent, bent it into place and no more catching.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That doesn't surprise me!

When I had a new gearbox on the coupe, 2nd gear wasn't right. Needed a lot of force to get it in to and out of gear. Rest of the box was fine.

I had a look, and there's a sort of counter weight at the top of where the gearshift comes in to the back of the box. This was rubbing against a metal bracket when selecting 2nd.

I moved the bracket up slightly, and gearshift was perfect. Might be worth getting someone to sit in the car and change between 1st and 2nd, see if you can see the counterweight thing hitting or fouling on anything.

Now that doesn't surprise me! The garage I took it to for the new engine where the ones who fitted a new cam belt, obliterated my engine, that's the reason I had to have a new one/replacement one, which they fitted on a 50/50 cost basis.

Will definately check that out, it does feel like it's knocking against something underneath the car! Genius!

So, just so I know what I'm looking for, I need to look between the back of the box and the gearshift linkage. Can this be seen underneath or do I need to remove anything to see it?!

Thanx again mate!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2 votes for obstruction!

similar to mine then, after the clutch was done on my 214, gear change was heavy, had a friend change while looked under bonet, and it was catching some bracket had been bent, bent it into place and no more catching.
Genuis!

So this one is in the engine bay, where abouts will I know it when I see it?!

Cheers mate! TTTIIIMMAAYYY!!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
mine was high up at the back of the engine , when the gear was changed you could see a series of moving rods and pieces of metal, get someone to sit in the car changing gear you should be able to see them , check for obstructions.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
If the cam belt they put on for you mashed up your engine, why did you go back to them for an engine replacement?
They dont seem to know their ass from their elbow!!

When I had my engine replacement done, the clutch felt very very light, no resistence at all. The gears would pop out everynow and then and felt like something was in the way. After a good few week, the tension returned to the clutch and the car drives perfect. Maybe you gotta run it in?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts