MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
Was thinking of checking the gear box oil but after checking previous posts it appears to be a pain so I am thinking of getting a garage to both flush and replace it rather than mess around.
Going to replace the clutch fluid myself can anyone advise which fluid to use and possible cost of gear box oil and flush.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
686 Posts
I like to doing these sorts of things myself and did change the gearbox oil on my F but when it came to my wife's F I could budge either the fill or the drain plug so ended up taking it to a garage and the cost was pretty small, under an hours labour. If you do decide to do it yourself, get a pump that will fit into a 1L oil container and fill from under the car.

The correct fluid is MTL 94 and you need 2.4L.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,845 Posts
It's been a while since I did the gearbox oil but I don't remember it being a problem, as for the clutch fluid just use normal brake fluid.

·
Registered
mg_tf
255 Posts
One useful tip with renewing gearbox oil is to always ensure you can remove the filler plug before undoing the drain plug, otherwise you are in difficulties.
Clutch fluid? Use DOT 4 brake fluid.
Kind regards,
Austin.

·
Registered
mg_tf
608 Posts

Here's how. As said, undo the 'fill' before you drain it just to be sure you can.
Fill from the top with a funnel and two feet of garden hose.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
I used a 500mm squishy gearbox oil container with a tube on it to top-up/ fill, and refill from a 5 litre can as required. I keep the small squishy bottle set aside for this job in the garage.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts

Here's how. As said, undo the 'fill' before you drain it just to be sure you can.
Fill from the top with a funnel and two feet of garden hose.
I second the use of garden hose. But I fed the hose through the engine bay and into the gearbox and used the flexi spout of the oil bottle into the end of the hose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts