MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
came this morning and fitted it bout 2,its defo more responsive and the torque is felt lower down. its so much more easier to adjust it aswell , ill have to post some pics and maybe a vid of the gauge.

how do i post a vid and pics the easy way? forgive my stupidity im crap on computers.:confused:

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
came this morning and fitted it bout 2,its defo more responsive and the torque is felt lower down. its so much more easier to adjust it aswell , ill have to post some pics and maybe a vid of the gauge.

how do i post a vid and pics the easy way? forgive my stupidity im crap on computers.:confused:
Register with photo bucket or similar, then upload the pics/video from your PC to there.

Use the Image button to put the image in, and i guess just link up the web address for the video.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
830 Posts
Sorry if I do a stupid question but: isn't this only a boost control valve? Why do you say that your car run better now? Isn't this GBE only used the adjust the turbo pressure!?

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
All the valve does it to prevent any boost pressure reaching the actuator until the set boost pressure is reached, so if everything was perfect in theory it shouldn't have any effect at all.

However the wastegate actuator is far from perfect, and it starts to open over a range of pressures. I.e. it isn't a perfect on-off switch it has an operating range of pressure. What this means for the end user is the wastegate starts to open a little before the set pressure, but then is open at the set pressure to maintain your desired boost level. Using a ball on spring type boost controller means that the wastegate doesn't "see" any boost until the ball valve opens at its preset pressure and so it does act more like an on-off switch. This means you get full boost everso slightly earlier than if you just use the wastegate alone. Usually this is so small an effect that it isn't noticable on engines that are running standard boost.

However when you turn the boost up with an actuator not designed for it (which ours aren't), then you get more problems. An actuator is rated for a certain pressure, and we all know we turn them up above their design pressure. Now you get the same effects above happening but worse as you get "wastegate creep". There is spring inside the wastegate to hold it closed. However as you turn the boost up this spring needs to be stronger to hold the wastegate closed. We do this by adjusting the spring preload by shortening the actuator arm. However when approaching the set boost level above standard boost the wastegate starts to open even earlier, as there is more pressure trying to open the wastegate than it was designed to resist. You have turbo pressure trying to open the actuator and a spring in the actuator trying to hold it closed. This means that the pressure range over which the actuator opens is even wider than before.

Now as the ball on spring valve prevents the actuator "seeing" any boost at all until the preset level you remove the force trying to open the actuator and so the wastegate remains closed usually eliminating the wastegate creeping open.

So in short, if you are running standard boost then it'll provide a small gain as the turbo will reach full boost very slightly sooner. If you are running higher boost then it can be much more useful and cheaper than buying a bigger actuator.

I hope all that makes some sort of sense and if it is useful then you know where the reputation button is
<<<<<

·
Registered
556 Posts
But isn't it too much £45.00 for a valve?
Definitely not!

Sure, you can go out and buy a ball and spring valve for twenty quid, but it'll barely be usable on a petrol turbo, let alone a diesel.

Grant's controllers are made to a high standard, control the boost very accurately, and make a big difference. Even externally, the inlets and outlets are slightly bigger than the norm, and the D-EVO units use a ceramic ball rather than a metal one for better response. Also, I think it's worth paying an extra few quid for a trusted device that controls something so important as turbo boost, not really much of an extra cost in order to protect your engine, bearing in mind that most of the cheaper ball and spring controllers tend to fail closed, leading to unlimited, and potentially destructive, boost, whereas the GBE tends to fail (if they ever do, only heard of about two out of a couple of hundred!) in the open position, defaulting safely back to the actuator setting.

I used to think £40+ quid for a GBE was pricy, then I bought one, and have had several since on every turbo car I've owned. :)

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Grants GBE ones are indeed good and I've not often heard a bad word said of them. However I have a cheap e-bay one (£20) on my turbo diesel van, and another on my turbo petrol (t16) car and they both work faultlessly. Some other people have had problems with cheap ones but I haven't and neither have quite a few of my friends, so you pays your money and you take your choice.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Grants GBE ones are indeed good and I've not often heard a bad word said of them. However I have a cheap e-bay one (£20) on my turbo diesel van, and another on my turbo petrol (t16) car and they both work faultlessly. Some other people have had problems with cheap ones but I haven't and neither have quite a few of my friends, so you pays your money and you take your choice.
would i see any difference between a bleedvavle and the GBE?

·
Registered
556 Posts
would i see any difference between a bleedvavle and the GBE?
Yes. Bleed valves are the peaky spawn of Satan. :D

You still suffer from wastegate creep with a bleed valve, they always fail in a way that is like cutting the pipe, and also give hardly any good control over a constant boost pressure. Horrible things!

Put it this way, if you fit a GBE and don't notice a difference over a bleed valve or just adjusting the actuator, send it to me, and I'll eat it! :D

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Ball on spring controllers are better than bleed valves. You can use a bleed valve on a diesel more safely though as they don't care about boost spiking etc unlike a petrol engine.
If you've got one sitting about the garage then by all means try it but if you are buying one then buy a ball on spring type as they are far better.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Ball on spring controllers are better than bleed valves. You can use a bleed valve on a diesel more safely though as they don't care about boost spiking etc unlike a petrol engine.
If you've got one sitting about the garage then by all means try it but if you are buying one then buy a ball on spring type as they are far better.
mines already got a b/vavle but is it worth changing it for a GBE? wouild i notice any difference?

thanks mark

·
Registered
556 Posts
You might notice a small difference but it would only be a small one.
Having intitially adjusted the actuator, then reset the actuator and fitted a bleed valve, then another cheaper ball and spring device, then a GBE, I'd say the difference is very noticable, actually.

Turbo spooling time was longest with the bleed valve (longer than with the actuator adjusted), and noticably much shorter with the GBE, even at standard boost levels. Actuator alone was slightly better than the bleed valve, and the cheaper ball and spring device isn't even worth comparing, as it just struggled to hold boost within a few psi anyway. :p

However, if you're happy with the low down power as it is, then stick to what you have, and look into the GBE when you want a bit more pull from lower down in the future. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts