MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GBE boost controller fitted to ZT - results
Before fitting the GBE boost controller I took some baseline test measurements of the boost levels.

The car was in the following spec:-

Remap
Rover Ron TU3b – setting 3
Air filter cover removed
Decat
Exhaust

With this spec peak boost of 18psi was hit at about 2000rpm which dropped back to 15psi above 3000rpm.

If we add the Rover Ron Spring mod then peak boost moved up to 21psi at 2000rpm again dropping back to 18psi above 3000rpm.

So the spring mod is worth 3psi as Ron suggests.

Adding the GBE didn’t really achieve much. All I was able to do was increase the boost level at 2000rpm but this is really no use as:-

1) Above 23psi clutch slip was present for sure.
2) At 23-24PSI the boost cut was hit – this creates a HUGE cloud of smoke out the back!!!

I was hoping the GBE would help the turbo to maintain 20psi at higher revs – but it didn’t. That’s not the fault of the GBE – it’s just that the turbo is not big enough to flow the required air at that boost level as far as I can see.

It was also noticeable that even with the air filter cover removed smoke was present above 21psi.

So overall disappointing. It appear that about 165BHP and 290/300lbft is as far as we can go on the standard turbo. I don’t run the 171 setting on the road – too much smoke!

So conclusions:-

1) The turbo really is at it’s peak at 18-21psi – there is no more left!!
2) If you have a CDTi with the spring mod it’s probably not worth fitting.
3) If you have a CDT it might be worth a go.
4) I didn’t really notice any improvement in spool up time.
5)There IS a boost cut at about 23psi.
6)The intake mod Mk2 did not restrict performance as far as I could tell.
7)I am sure that a hybrid turbo would achieve more power at a lower boost setting!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Hi Rich

Thats a bit of a downer if remember right you were hoping the GBE would reduce smoke and allow you to run at a higher TU3B setting.

Have you removed the full cover for the air filter housing or just disconnected the snorkel bit from the main filter housing?

Since i had the de-cat and stainless exhaust have noticed a fair bit of smoke and a lot of soot on the bumper. Don't mind the noise of the exhaust round town or if give it a little boot full but it is a bit annoying drone on the motorway..... guess thats what the stereo is there for. And they say the art of conversation is dead :rolleyes:

Im running tu3b at setting 2 with the upsolute chip, just fitted a MAFAM and piesburg MAF few days ago (noticed today it had fallen off the bulk head and the dial had shifted round to about 8 o'clock so that wont have helped, before i had it at 2 oclock) have Ron's spring mod, K & N and intake version 2. Cleaned EGR a few weeks ago, to be honest it wasnt too bad the housing it bolts to was worse (will disconnect and block the vacuum hose) and had the PCV valve filter changed when it was MOTed on Thursday.

Any tips on reducing smoke?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Rich

Thats a bit of a downer if remember right you were hoping the GBE would reduce smoke and allow you to run at a higher TU3B setting.

Have you removed the full cover for the air filter housing or just disconnected the snorkel bit from the main filter housing?

Since i had the de-cat and stainless exhaust have noticed a fair bit of smoke and a lot of soot on the bumper. Don't mind the noise of the exhaust round town or if give it a little boot full but it is a bit annoying drone on the motorway..... guess thats what the stereo is there for. And they say the art of conversation is dead :rolleyes:

Im running tu3b at setting 2 with the upsolute chip, just fitted a MAFAM and piesburg MAF few days ago (noticed today it had fallen off the bulk head and the dial had shifted round to about 8 o'clock so that wont have helped, before i had it at 2 oclock) have Ron's spring mod, K & N and intake version 2. Cleaned EGR a few weeks ago, to be honest it wasnt too bad the housing it bolts to was worse (will disconnect and block the vacuum hose) and had the PCV valve filter changed when it was MOTed on Thursday.

Buy a petrol motor

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Whats the point when you can tune a diesel fairly cheaply to have more power than the 1.8t, 2.0 V6, 2.5 V6 160bhp, and im sure Rich's would give a V6 auto 180 a run for its money.

The V6 sounds great but when you can get similar power out of 2.0 litre 16v engines like renault clios, and a lot more bhp out of the standard 1.8t VAG range and better mpg, I cant really see the point in owning one. If I owned a fuel guzzling V6 i would like to think i would need flying lessons first :) Each to their own i guess.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Rich

Martin

I am using setting 3 on the TU3b and yes i did remove the whole air filter cover, not just the tube bit. I still get a bit of smoke with that too.

We need a bigger turbo! It's as simple as that.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Hi Rich

Bet your glad to be back in Sunny Blighty :bgrin2:

Will reconnect the toggle switch on the TU3B and try setting 3 and see what happens.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Hi Rich

The egr bypasses will be available very soon from wingy777, this should help.
Ron

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Gave the car a clean inside and out and still forgot to block off the egr valve.... grr, quick job for after tea.

Is the rule of thumb regarding the tu3b the lower the setting the lower the smoke?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Gave the car a clean inside and out and still forgot to block off the egr valve.... grr, quick job for after tea.

Is the rule of thumb regarding the tu3b the lower the setting the lower the smoke?
No.

Try to identify when the smoke is occuring - below 2500rpm or above it.

Then look at the settings on the label.
Throttle response ones affect smoke below 2500rpm more, power ones above this. This is a rough guide as they overlap.

If the smoke is at higher rpm, the egr bypass will help.

Ron

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Hi Ron

MAFAM had fallen off bulkhead again since yesterday so cable tied it on. When it had fallen the dial had spun round almost to max so would this cause smoke? (saying that before the new MAF and mafam was getting smoke)

The real obvious smoke is if give it a bootful to near red line in low gears so will try apply the above 2500rpm rule.

When you say effect smoke do you mean reduce or increase?

When i got a huge cloud of smoke today it was on setting 3 but mafam may have fallen at this point, currently have it on setting 1.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Hi Ron

MAFAM had fallen off bulkhead again since yesterday so cable tied it on. When it had fallen the dial had spun round almost to max so would this cause smoke? (saying that before the new MAF and mafam was getting smoke)

The real obvious smoke is if give it a bootful to near red line in low gears so will try apply the above 2500rpm rule.

When you say effect smoke do you mean reduce or increase?

When i got a huge cloud of smoke today it was on setting 3 but mafam may have fallen at this point, currently have it on setting 1.
Try a lower 'power' setting eg medium instead of high and then fit an egr bypass pipe. This should cure it.

Ron

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
thanks for the info, will keep an eye out for the bypass valve, can I order direct from your site once in supply or has Wingy a site or contact info?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts