MG-Rover.org Forums banner

141 - 160 of 228 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Well I've tried to solve the left mirror problem...
But:
1. however somebody had modified something inside likely because the mirror had been broken
2. Even I heated it that was to no avail and I broke the mirror
3. Impossible to do otherwise: the silly bloke who did it had glued the mirror for ever with hard glue
4. the interior design was slightly different from the genuine ones I'd taken off even there was no difference outside
5. spring hadn't snapped but swapped with a non genuine shorter one stuck elsewhere ! You are allowed to laugh!
6. I cleaned the inside then glued with silicone (reversible) the spare original mirror
7. I managed to move closer the 2 locking tabs
7. at last I screwed back the whole on the car
Morality: the best is always the enemy of the good!
And from outside all my left mirror looks untouched like in the first place...
Waste of time... :confused: :LOL:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
You can always find unexpected thing happen depending how much previous owners and helpers there were ...
I quite agree.
And in my case a 25 year old car with several previous owners needs a very careful and comprehensive inspection after the first overview I'd done where I'd overlooked lots of details. No surprise that hidden points had been totally missed.
Tomorrow I'll receive my 2 complete rear light blocks a nice chap on the FB MG/Rover France forum had sent me for a very friendly price: 27€ including postage. My left one is slightly cracked on a white part. It's of no consequence and water cannot come into. But I don't want to see any easily curable damage in or out the cab, mainly when it can be so easily spotted. You can see that crack on one of the last pictures I posted a few weeks ago. Last niggle? Not so sure... ?;)

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Et voilà :

Reactions: gnu and Roverlike

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Today is St Valentin day. Hence a good opportunity to offer a good meal in the middle of nowhere (Concots, Lot) and a nice run in the cabby amidst a lovely & shiny landscape...

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #147 (Edited)
Restaurant looks great. I hope you had a good day and a nice meal. :)
I hope so... for my better half!
It's a very weird restaurant because lots of very different guests are mixed every day for lunch: tourists, retired people, neighbours and the main part are... local workers!
There's only one menu at noon, which is called worker's lunch, i.e. 3 courses all the same, plus one glass of wine & coffee included for the princely sum of... 14.50€ or £12! It may look mean & tight from me but I hadn't any other choice and it was my sweetheart's choice for that special day.
It's so gorgeous and tasty that the chef who owns the restaurant was awarded one hat in the very well famed gastronomic French guide Gault & Millau!
Imagine that there are only 423 inhabitants in that small & remote village! A rarity and only 35km (22 mls) far from home... :love:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #148 (Edited)
Still delighted by my nippy cabby. But being a little pernickety, just a very slight downside: since newly fitted, I find the hood structure - which works very well up & back - a little creaky on bumpy or sneaky roads, i.e. mostly because I'm mainly driving in the countryside!
Not that loud, nevertheless audible. I should add that those noises can only be heard when the hood is on ; when pulled up, the structure being packed at the rear under the hood cover, there are no longer any creaking. However my good saddler told me he had had to de-rust the mechanism, paint it & - I assume - lubricate it as well.
At the moment I guess I'd better to do nothing than an irremediable mess: any excess of lubrication might end in unfortunate stains on the liner or even on the hood itself.
Any advice here from cabby owners (or others!)?

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Maybe it will wear in and stretch a bit with time and quieten down?
Possibly. But that good British mohair hood looks - fortunately - very strong at the moment and I bet it will need a good while to become less tight.
But I did yesterday what I was told to: the weather being rainy, I left the cabby outside and coming back in the middle of the afternoon I realized that the hood was a bit better, I dare not say that it stretched that much but I noticed it had gained one or two mm.
As another consequence as you may guess, the whole body was covered by thousands and thousands of little drops of water, as you can see in YouTube videos regarding the best car waxes.
I was rather worried to have to clean the whole car once more.
I unusually decided not to do anything, i.e. I didn't try to take off the water from the body with a mild sponge or anything else.
Good surprise today: lots of drops are still remaining but a certain number of them have already disappeared without the slightest mark on the paint! Wax is magic! The conclusion is indeed not to try to clean the car after a rain: it looks it's able to clean itself without any intervention! :D
However so far my creaking noises will still remain... :cautious:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #151 (Edited)
Weather being rather rainy since Monday, I've left Gaby outside for 3 days & 2 nights. Hood is looking nicely washed and slightly less tight so far. I only hope the poor girl will not catch any cold! :LOL:

Regarding some creaks while running (I only guessed they may come from the hood but not 100% sure) I'd a second reading of the last MOT small advisories where it reads that both left & right silent blocks were deteriorated. As I'd already ordered both items, I've just made an appointment with my good mechanic for the next Wednesday. I hope that may lessen some of those worrying creaks... :unsure:
EDIT: the very name at Rimmer's is "bush-trailing arm rear suspension" code RGX100980. Actually I ordered it from a very well known French online retailer and mine are Delphi TD263W. Same price as at Rimmer's. I bet they may be the same stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Too much rain and wind here too. I hope the new parts go on ok. :)
I'll tell you ASAP that is Wednesday next.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
As I was warned by my seller, the alarm may sound at any moment for no reason. o_O
It has already occurred twice & once more in the previous week. :mad:
He told me not to shut the car with the fob but the key and that I'll be able to re-open it with the fob without any trouble.
But I would like to shut my cabby with its fob. :cool:
Is my cabby cursed or are some others behaving in the same manner? :devilish:
I remember that my parents' 1991 214Gsi was doing the same hence they asked the then Rover dealer to cancel it, which he did. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Does it have a volumetric (movement) alarm set by the fob, but not by the key?
TBF I dunno...
I was told elsewhere that it may be a dirty or rusty door switch... But the problem was similar in my parents' 214Gsi when she was new!
It's not to give me a headache: as long as I can lock both car doors with the key in the driver's lock I'm fine...
Just to put a drop or two of WD40 or better (I've got a special product for locks I'm already using in the bonnet front half-moons) that will do I think.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Do you have automatic roof and do you have button to disa le doppler volumetric sensor beside steering wheel?
Sorry to be late but today I enjoyed a rally with good mates and their lovely cars: White TR3, BRG MGB, genuine Austin Rover Mini with Union Jack roof, Red Volvo 1800S, DS19, Matra etc.
I've got automatic roof and its 2 switches close to the wheel but no other one regarding a volumetric alarm. Only warning, rear fog lamps & rear window heat blower.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Guess where is the cabby & admire that not too despicable collection!
Shame that several others are hidden by the hedge or too far on the right...

141 - 160 of 228 Posts