MG-Rover.org Forums banner

41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
From my point of view air box is in parallel with car battery and engine ECU, which is fine.
Injection of this type is NOT in parallel with cylinder head, and that is how it should be.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
From my point of view air box is in parallel with car battery and engine ECU, which is fine.
I'm sorry to notice that it isn't actually in my engine bay even it's not noticeable on the pics I've sent.
But it likely makes no difference provided it works.
It's just me who is a bit too stiff or too used to a later design... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So as agreed Gaby the cabby is gone at the garage at 11.30 in the morning.
BTW I'll go to collect my leads at a close shop.
Stressing suspense: was it the pump or something else?
Will they be able to cure the problem quickly?
To be continued...

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Any hint about alloy & plastic TB?

BTW while waiting for - I hope - good news from my mechanic, I was wondering why & when alloy or plastic throttle bodies were fitted in the 214 between 1992 & 1996.
Haynes is talking of alloy & plastic TB without giving any information about differences: sometimes pictures & explanations are showing the former and sometimes the latter.
And I can't find out on the web which difference it makes.
Any hint about that plz?

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Is that good news?

Guess what?
My mechanic made several attempts but hasn't notice any starting failure!
No break down, the engine is starting fine!

There's pressure in the fuel filter: even better he had to screw a bit tighter the filter for there was even a small leak. I couldn't do that for there wasn't any pressure when I did the job.
In his opinion the pump is working, the evidence is we can hear it, there's pressure & the engine is starting.

But surely some TLC is obviously needed: cleaning the throttle body, swapping leads & plugs (I knew that perfectly) etc.
Hence I'll bring him plugs & leads next Monday morning: I could easily do that myself but... the fourth lead plastic head being broken and some old plug being able to resist, for the first time of my ownership I'd better to leave him the potential problems if any.

In the meantime he gave me a job to do for the garage: translating 13 pages in English regarding a model I'd never heard about: a Jannarelly Design-1 (a kind of French Cobra built in... Dubaï!). He has to service that car and maybe more for one of his clients.

What do you think of my weird break down?

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Do not know what to say. It may be one off or it could be something which will occure again. Time will tell.

I smell a theme coming here: my garage looks haunted by a wandering gremlin!
Sometimes in the 75 LCD display, sometimes in the 214 starting system! At the moment the 25 looks unscathed... :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well I'm a bit shy in this new environment...
But I've got back home my Lady Gaby today.
My good mechanic has done a very good job: swap of spark plugs & leads and careful & meticulous throttle body hand cleaning (no spray,spray is the lazy lads job in his own advice!).

But he has advised me to do the following tasks:
  • swap of the gasket crankcase oil sump LVF100290 (he finds the low engine a bit too oily, but no leak at all on the ground - don't think it's urgent: he is very pernickety you know!)
  • swap of the air duct PHD10090 which is too tired and maybe a bit cracky somewhere (I've just found on the Spanish bay the only genuine one available as new! A bit pricey but ordered)
  • gearbox oil (he finds the 1st gear a little bit noisy and tired; he hopes it will be better with a new oil - the old one is likely very old! Ordered)
  • brake fluid (It was expected - I'd already got it)
  • coolant (it was expected - I'd already got it)
Tomorrow morning I'll go at the painter. Phew!

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Good news from the painter: everything wrong will be corrected that is
  • rear right wing (badly bruised)
  • rear bumper (silly spray paint)
  • front bumper (scratches at both corners)
  • driver's door lower part (silly spray paint)
  • and some slight niggles.
He promised me it will be clean, neat & shiny (scratch remover & polish offered for free)!
Very sensible & generous price: 400€ i.e. £360.

In the meantime here are some pics of the cab in the sunshine and without its awful & nearly fully wrecked hood!
Appointment on Monday 27th of this month 9 a.m.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Little improvement today: I'm now able - at last - to read the engine number.
Not easy: the engraving is very low & in the dark, but thanks to a good lump of white spirit & my precious cellular phone, eureka!
14K 4F J52 829682. So it was built in the middle of 1994, likely June .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
New victory this very evening.
After a whole day poking around, phoning here & there in France to no avail, even writing to the UK (no answer so far), asking on several forums & Facebook, at last I've found a French mate keen to sell me both front left lights blocks including the very rare body coloured curved sticky which is located just below the lights and above the bumper (20€ + 6.90€ postage). My left one is broken but I didn't notice it when I bought the car. Not very noticeable but I don't want anything broken in my cars! 🙄
It comes from a 1994 414 saloon, so no problem, I've compared the pics, absolutely similar. Just a very slight difference: my BRG is coded HNA & his BRG HAM (BRG 2 1994-1999). It looks HAM is just quite imperceptibly darker than my HNA (BRG 1989-1994). But who cares? the bumper is nearly black! Nobody will notice it, including myself!
And I hope the bloke will be able to take off a black plastic & chrome rod to send me those 4 elusive & unobtainable yellow clips Dutch or French post lost me recently. Phew!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Here are the lights & stick he's going to send me: do you notice any distinctive difference between his HAM & my HNA?
Indeed the stick is not new & has seen better days but I hope I'll be able to get the best of it with a bit of TLC, products & elbow grease. ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
At last... they arrived!
What?
Those damned unobtainium clips that were lost between Netherlands & France.
Three weeks: I bet they might have hired a donkey down there!
Hence nearly all the odds are with Lady Gaby now.
And she fired up without any reluctance this very morning: so why that breakdown a fortnight earlier?
In France lots of people are convinced that (rather old) British cars suffer from a whimsical temper... :ROFLMAO:
Might be a little truth in that... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Some good & bad news about my starting problem.
Thursday last I fired up without any concern but along the first 20 mls the engine looked misfiring or put another way working slightly by fits & starts. A bit worrying and that reminded me my starting failures.
Very oddly when going back home along the same road the other way round the car drove very nicely without any hint of the previous behaviour.
Hence I poked around in forums and in this one particularly and it looks that both troubles - starting failure & fits and starts - are symptoms of a failing crank sensor.
Hence I ordered a new old genuine one (ref. Rover: ADU7340) on the flea bay, for 18€ + 7.50€ fast postage fees.
But where on earth could I find out that sensor under the bonnet? 🤔
The crankshaft sensor can be seen in Haynes guide contents table in 5C*3 but I read the whole 5th chapter without being told about it!
I've to go to the saddler next Thursday and I cannot bear living with that threat very long! :eek:
Is somebody in the know able to tell me where it is and if the job is plain sailing or too fiddly for someone like me?
Thanks a lot. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Thank you so much 'Super Moderator'.
As usual you're the first on the go.
Fantastic page!
It looks it'll be a nice job for my mechanic...
Can't see myself on the floor in such a position groping around to find that sensor.
At least I'm able to tell where it is which is the beginning of the knowledge!
I hope it'll arrive before next Thursday afternoon...
BTW you may see me in the 200 & 400 Owners Club as well...

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
Unfortunately on this new forum I cannot change Title below my Avatar picture so I am stuck with 'Super moderator' title which I have as staff member.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I was kidding you indeed! I'm such a tease sometimes... :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Today I tried to start up the engine: no problem, the gremlin is busy in my 75 at the moment! :ROFLMAO:
New appointment made for the 21st with my mechanic, after the saddler on the 17th next and before the painter on the 28th next.
He'll do all the services not yet done & will correct some niggles under the bonnet. See previous posts.
I hope the crank position sensor will be next Thursday as gentle & tractable as it was today... 😤

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
41 - 60 of 115 Posts