MG-Rover.org Forums banner
321 - 336 of 336 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 · (Edited)
Fabulous!
I've just got my BENDIX master cylinder, brand new from old stock, absolutely mint, still wrapped in an anti-corrosive paper made in England at Solihull by Carrs Paper Ltd! Moreover it reads in English and French!
That paper is by itself a museum piece!
Hence I sent a sms to my precious mechanics as agreed.

Reactions: Roverlike

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
What a sweat!
Phone call yesterday: "the master cylinder is wrongly sided: it should open on the right. Instead it's the contrary. You've got a RHD item!"
Another blow!
The mechanic told me that he was trying to find a similar one to the original at his usual providers but no way: nobody has got the right one...
I tried to find out on the web helped by the pics: no luck, all were opening on the left.
I'd a close look under my 25 bonnet: opening on the left as well!
Hence only the 1992-1995 models were fitted with my original one, but NLA anywhere!
But my mechanic is a good man and never gives up and told me that reluctantly (he doesn't like that kind of DIY job) he was to modify my connections and twisting the metal to match with my BENDIX. But he warned me: it was a work of patience, long, uneasy and... costly...
Here are the pictures he sent me (teleworking!!!).
The first one represents the new BENDIX master cylinder without any change, hence impossible to connect the braking circuit.
The second and the third one are showing the fully operational result (with the extension of the electric cable).
He finished the job at 8 pm! And tested it on this morning.
Cost for several hours of hard labour? £129 (150€)!
Very fine job isn't it?
Isn't he fabulous?

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
Taking the original genuine master cylinder out of its box where my precious mechanic put it at my request could have solved the mystery, at least it's what I thought.
On the bottle it reads: Girling 74470826 and a date: 03/94. Of course I'd bet it was the original one!
Hence neither Lucas nor Bosch nor TRW nor something of the like.
But I can't find out anywhere a sketch or a picture corresponding exactly to the reference above.
Back to the square one.
But that doesn't matter actually now since the mod has been done and works fine.
Just in case a similar failure will happen again in the future, I know there's plenty of them available and opening on the left. Hence no longer any headache for swapping!

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,997 Posts
Here you go with price of 192 €:

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
Unbelievable!!! I'm gobsmacked & speechless!!!
Did you know I'm living 50km far from Albi???!!!
Shame but it's too late now: the deal is done.
How did you do??? Which magical wand is yours??? 😵
After all given that princely sum I think I'd rather to have the mod done than buying the right item in the first place!!! 😜 :LOL:

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 · (Edited)
Of course my question wasn't at all: 'why didn't you tell me before? I hadn't told you the full story since the beginning so you couldn't guess what was the problem.
I'm used to help myself as often as possible, that's why, and I was sure to get the right item.

My professional seller wasn't aware there were sided items and with or without ABS, which gives up to 4 possibilities!
Worse, the 2004 catalogue which my seller was relying upon was fooled as well and all the other sellers on the web are still selling wrong items given to be fit for my vehicle when they aren't! It's a very mess and that's the first time that I see everybody lost about a mechanical piece...

My true question was obviously: 'how did you manage to find out that hens teeth I hadn't been able to'?
I'd tried hard for hours to no avail... :cry:
You know, I'm jealous... ;) :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Anyway the moral is that it costed me less to have a mod done than to buy the right item above which is rather on the steep side...
Indeed you know where I'm living: I'm for ever grateful for your armrest you offered me! :love:(y)
But Albi isn't in the same departement and you may not have been aware... I don't know myself by heart all the geographical areas everywhere in Europe... 🤪

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,997 Posts
My true question was obviously: 'how did you manage to find out that hens teeth I hadn't been able to'?
I'd tried hard for hours to no avail... :cry:
You know, I'm jealous... ;) :LOL::LOL::LOL:
To be honest I did not even try hard to find your part. I just checked since you said you cannot find it, it took me a couple of seconds to find above one ...

You know that master is not choosing his magical wand. Magical wand chooses master, so my magical wand must be miracle wand as well and why he choosed exactly me, well I must be ....

Regarding geographical area where you live, actualy you placed few pictures from your area, and since I am interested in such areas with castles and small towns in breathaking scenery, I explored your surroundings to be able to see all beautiful places you were talking about. So I found out about parts of France which I did not visit before, but sure worth visiting if I will have a chance.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
Would you plan a trip to France, I would be very happy to welcome you home, you can guess it... when that bl***y pandemic is gone at last !

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #330 ·
Today I was glad to get both my rear wheel cylinder repair kits from Rimmer's.
But why on earth for the second time the parcel was stamped by the German post? o_O
I'm wondering whether Rimmerbros might have settled months ago in a warehouse on the continent to avoid the dreadful delays & custom levy between the UK and Europe.
What's your opinion chaps?

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
Lady Gaby aka 1994 Rover 214i cab that was honoured by the last edition of the Viking (200&400 Owners Club 2021-3 pp. 13-16) is back on roads for 2 more years: successfully MOTed today with just 2 minor advisories one of which I was well aware of: both front tyres slightly more worn on the internal edge. Thankfully I'd planned to swap them next Autumn. Wheel alignment will be made at the same time.
The second advisory was about the exhaust line where it's slightly damaged somewhere in the middle, but it reads that neither leakage nor fall are to be expected.
Two more years: I know, you should be jealous in the mainland!

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #333 ·
Any pictures from the Viking magazine?
I think all were shown previously in this thread. I guess you read it?
I'll see what I can do from the pdf pages.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #334 ·

Reactions: gnu and Roverlike

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
My glove box lock is now out of order since yesterday.
Ennoying when the hood is down: I'd had to transfer all that was inside in the boot before going to the restaurant.
I've tried to see what's wrong: no way. The problem lies in the non-strippable part.
Conveniently 2 of them - new from an old Valeo stock - with both their keys were available on the bay. I've just ordered one of them.
The other is still available: anyone?

Rover 200 400 Glove Box Lock & 2 Keys Part Number 252904
I'd never thought that such item could still be found nowadays. Hence I'd not searched it on the web but a kind mate on the other forum pointed it to me.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·
The parcel is just arrived. Locks swapped. Fixed!
And icing on the cake it's an original part made in UK!

Font Rectangle Parallel Ticket Label

Reactions: gnu
321 - 336 of 336 Posts