MG-Rover.org Forums banner
301 - 320 of 337 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
Tidier than my garage atm! Most of the walls are covered by shelves or hanging stuff so not much room for posters. I do have the 75 ZT meet magnet (fleet air arm museum) on my tool rack though. ;)
It's because the cabby garage is the smaller.
The larger one is the V6 one and it is packed with most of the stock on shelves and tools as well, even in an old refrigerator ! :p

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
That's because the cabby garage is the smaller one. Most of the stock and tools are located in the V6 garage, on numerous shelves and even in an old réfrigérateur ! :p

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
Following my medicinal finds in the family farmacy
- see The last fleet admiral -
I've done a further job in the cabby this time.
In the 75 I hadn't used the oil of cade so I took the opportunity of a go under the cabby bonnet.
But what's oil of cade? Surprisingly it shares some common links with the little evening delicacy of the late queen mum: gin! It comes indeed from the same shrub: the juniper, not exactly the same one, but same species. Anyway I'm not going to be boring with that: you can find out everything you need from Wikipedia.

My old oil of cade - untouched since 70 years or more & still with its original cork & cap - is incredibly thick & dark: you've to wait to get drops out, increased by the thin neck of the tiny bottle.
My wife said that it has an hydrocarbon smell. Hence with a curved brush I've coated every black hose visible & accessible under the bonnet (coolant, steering & the like). Bonnet being always open in the garage, there's now a distinctive smell floating in the air outside the cabby & under the bonnet! And very shiny aspect as well. Don't know what will happen with the smell and look when hoses will be at 90°C!
And another very useful extra: oil of cade is an excellent rodent repellent!

BTW I've used the medicinal oil (my lovely grandma Davis ages ago - I know well her writing - had added on the label 'for hands') on the front seats to nourish the leather. But what's 'medicinal oil' and what's made of: it will remain a mistery...
They look bright now but I'll rub them with a clean and soft piece of cloth before we sit down next time!

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
Tada!
Here is her twin sister (100cm x 70cm):

Original French poster (about 1992/1993 I guess). It looks rather scarce.

Reactions: Roverlike

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
Yesterday was rally day with my club.
Despite lots of gust coming from South-East (warm air well know here as 'vent d'Autan'), I put the hood down and I was the only one to do so among roadsters and convertibles around such as MX-5, Porsche and a few others. My fellow countrymen look rather chilly...
Here is my better co-driver working hard on the road book while a short break in front of a lovely medieval castle called 'Belflou' in the Lauragais area (South East from Toulouse). Don't feel sad: she finally got out for a walk in that magnificent surrounding... :giggle:

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
A new milestone has been reached today. Note that they're only kilometers (aka 62,154 mls).
Not that much for a 27 year old car hey?

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #308 ·
Last but not least action to lighten a bit more the cabin of the cabby so much I dislike the impersonal, dull & boring black...
From last clearance at Rimmer's, Rover 25 Premium Quality Floor Mat Set - LHD - Sandstone Beige - EAH105290SCD - Genuine MG Rover (but it fits nicely the 200 mk2 as well): £27.43 shipping included! Bargain!
Ordered on the 15th last and arrived today! Far faster than 'Rover R8' by James Taylor arrived today as well (21st of June) but shipped on the... 4th!!! 17 days but the delay may be understandable: book printed in the UK nevertheless shipped by German Post!!! Where's the flaw???

Back to the mats. I was given 4 plastic screws to fix it on the original black floor mat but I don't want to cut into the latter.
What is gobsmaking is the incredible pristine condition of the original floor after 27 years: protected by the original monogrammed rubber mats (which are badly worn on the contrary), it's still absolutely mint on both sides!
I'll take better pics outside with the hood down but at the moment it's up and in the rather dark garage. Be indulgent with some weird and unreal shades as usual.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·
Some days are good days and some days are bad days...
Today that was the turn of the latter... :cry:
My master cylinder looks dead. Already last week I'd noticed that I'd to push longer on the pedal to brake.
Now I'm nearly foot on the ground to stop.
End of a 27 year game.

As usual I sent a sms to Lucas my mechanic asking him whether I could go at once to the garage for a diagnostic. No answer. I thought he was busy and I decided to call to the garage nevertheless.
Something was changed, I saw the associate and another young man, a likely apprentice. I asked the associate for Lucas and he answered slightly drily that he was no longer working here! He knew that we were friendly tied.
What a blow! 😵😰😟😱
However he accepted to have a quick look on the cabby: likely the master cylinder was his final advice.
I was devastated on my way back home.

But while we were welcoming at home a couple of good mates around noon, my smartphone rang: Lucas was calling, he had seen my message but was driving. There had been a deep disagreement and resentment between both of the associates.
But Lucas had kept all the contacts with his regular customers and was going to create a new business.
Nothing had changed between us he told me and as soon as I've received the master cylinder (already ordered: BENDIX 132746B equivalent of the GMC248 new from old stock - the last one of an high rated French Ebay seller - for a very mild price of 80€) I could have a call and he'll do the job as usual. Good man! And what a relief! Phew! 😃🤩

So for the next Sunday rally the 75 V6 will lead us the the castle of Lantis where the lunch is planned before the visit of the motor museum of Salviac, both in the Lot département.
All is well that ends well... 🤪

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
5,814 Posts
I bet you’re relieved. Good mechanics for these cars must be hard to find in France. 😁

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
I don't want to look stupidly jingoistic but among a team of the best British mechanics I bet he wouldn't be the worst... ;)

He is really able to do anything nearly on any car: he swapped all the three belts of my KV6 even without the dedicated Rover tools and able to neatly adjust any older carburettor engine like my younger son's Renault 17 TS twin Weber!
And cautious, methodical, meticulous and thoughtful: when my son came back home with his newly acquired convertible he made a call to ask whether the way back had been ok along those long 520 km (323 mls)!
Do you think many mechanics are as conscientious and considerate as he is?
And icing on the cake he is friendly and blessed with a good sense of humour!

Breaking news: I sent him a sms telling him I'm to get the master cylinder next Tuesday and told him I was to meet some friends in a small British roadsters gathering next Saturday near Agen.
What do you think it happened?
Five minutes later I got an answer with an appointment on next Wednesday provided I actually receive the master cylinder Tuesday as expected!
I wish you all such a man to care about your prides & joys... 🤩:love:

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
How cautious you are @Roverlike ! I'm not at all surprised. ;)
I'd foreseen several possible failures and I've gathered lots of pieces but not that one.
I guess it might happen another day on the 25. I'll see and I take a mental note...
Which brand & reference is yours?
Here is my BENDIX bargain if I may say so:

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
My replacements were, by now, original mg-rover ones. However that might change in the future ...
Except that master cylinder in this case never was built by Rover but by Lucas or Bosch.
What's written on your spare master cylinders?
But I bet that in the future we'll be committed to find out what will be suitable and compatible: we'll have no other choice...

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
13,019 Posts
No easy way to look on spare one, since it is in storage, tucked away waiting if needed. But I would not be surprised to be Lucas one, since many OEM parts were actualy made by Lucas.

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
5,814 Posts
I replaced the master cylinder on the 25 earlier this year. I did manage to find an new old-stock OEM one at a local ex-rover dealer (now does MG & Citroen) 😁

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #318 ·
I should have recalled your thread on that occasion. But I'd better to give the job to my precious mechanic. The other choice I had regarding the master cylinder was a good TRW item but which costs twice the one I ordered.

Reactions: gnu

·
Registered
rover_25
344 Posts
I should have recalled your thread on that occasion. But I'd better to give the job to my precious mechanic. The other choice I had regarding the master cylinder was a good TRW item but which costs twice the one I ordered.
i upgraded my master to a unit from a honda integra dc2, slighty bigger piston, to go with my bigger brakes, its a genuine honda unit made by TRW

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
Good idea but my cabby is rather light (hence right!) and doesn't need actually any bigger brakes: I just need good working brakes at the moment! ;)

301 - 320 of 337 Posts