MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fear I may have caught a kind of disease uneasy to get rid of...
After a 214Gsi sadly broken in 2015, then a 25 which replaced the latter at once, maybe another one is pointing at the corner of the driveway...
More to come soon I hope...:wink:

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If all is clear today is D-11...
But it's not plain sailing to do 500km without any direct train line, locked with the bond to change in Paris!
Neither any hope to find out a direct coach line...
Only solution: sharing a car with a driver keen to take passengers to alleviate his expense.
And we found the guy thanks to an Android app called 'Blablacar': direct from Montauban to Angers at 38€ each, which looks very reasonable the cheaper train fee (without any voucher) being twice that sum.
'Blablacar' is a very secure way to easily do a quiet journey, every driver being appreciated by a figure out of 5. Our young man (30 years old) is highly praised: 4.7/5. I bet something similar does exist in other countries. It's a very handy solution to travel friendly.
To be continued...

EDIT: I omitted to say that unfortunately our car will not be a British one: Renault Laguna III...

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I said "our car will not be a British one: Renault Laguna III" I was talking about the car we're going to share on the 26th of September next.
Don't be silly: I told you I was Rover-holic! :wink:
Thus my 3rd car will be a Rover indeed! :laugh:
Place your bets gentlemen...

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
:err:
Well you have a 75 and a 25. It could be a 45, but I don’t think so.

Have you gone older? No.

100. Nah.

I think an MG F or TF as it will give you something different for your fleet. Two seater, soft top, RWD etc.
:wink:

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well you have a 75 and a 25. It could be a 45, but I don’t think so.
Have you gone older? No.
100. Nah.
I think an MG F or TF as it will give you something different for your fleet. Two seater, soft top, RWD etc.
:wink:
Very interesting thoughts @gnu.
But let's recap all those assertions of yours.

1. 75 & 25, but not a 45? Good bet! You're right. It will not be a 45.

2. Not older? Why not?

3. 100? Nice but a bit on the small-ish side, isn't it?

4. MG F or TF? Not so bad but - there is a big but - you should dig large in your kitty to find one LHD in rather decent order.

I give you a good hint: I'm to pay 2,500€ or around £2,200. Don't compare with UK prices: it's pretty higher here on the continent, France, Belgium, Netherlands or Germany prices are rather close to one another.
An MG F/TF: you're right, I was tempted...
A decent RHD MG F is around 3,500€, a decent RHD MG TF is around one grand more.

If you fancy a LHD one, add another grand to F or TF in either case, i.e loosely speaking 4,500€ for a F, 5,500€ for a TF. That's an average. You may be lucky to find some cheaper, but that may hide some dark hole in the engine, suspension, hood or body.
And you told it: two seater. Nice but I should have bought one... 40 years ago! A roadster is a dream but at 66 it's a bit late, mainly when your wife is ever endlessly demanding to add this or that in the boot.
What could I put in an MG boot? My electric shaver and a pair of toothbrushes!

Regarding a RHD car, I could do with the wheel but the gear lever! Every time I drove a car in the UK it was a RHD indeed and obviously on the right side of the road. No problem but using my left hand to change gears! Awful, because I've got two right hands! Even after 1k miles in Scotland, I wasn't used to the gear lever.

Hence no RHD car and no MG.
A Rover I told you!
Nonetheless your final sentence contains a big part of the solution.
I've got a saloon, a hatchback thus what could be missing then?

I'd one with the same British engine but with a difference easy to notice from the outside...
Have another go...

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
I took Rover to mean MG-R, but I'll consider you clues and have another go...

Rover 75 estate/ tourer?

But could you get a decent LHD one for €2.5k in France?

·
Registered
rover_200_89_95
22 Posts
Im going to make a wild guess, a R8 Rover 200? Either a 220 Coupe or a 220 GTI/GSi as it has a large boot.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to say @gnu that I'd put you on the right track saying: "Not older? Why not?"
Moreover as you guessed 2,500€ would not be enough in France to get a decent 75 Tourer.
And I don't need a tourer nor a diesel car.

You've nearly won @Cromp85! Bravo!

It's a R8 Rover 200 series indeed but it isn't a coupé nor a hatchback GTI/GSI even it is technically a GSI or more precisely a "I" as it reads at the rear of the boot just after the figures, and "SE" finishing.
Mind you it's a British engine, not a Japanese one...

I'm sure it's obvious now...
Last hint: the boot is a tad smaller but a decent one nonetheless, because the back boot is partly occupied by...?
Easy now!

Have a last try!:wink:

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cabriolet?
Cheers of applause! :woo::clap::clap::clap::woo:

You got it!

A 214i cabriolet SE mk2 sold on the 23 Aug 1994 by Boursault garage Rover dealer 11-13 rue Boursault Paris (17th arrondissement) which is 750m far from the 55 rue Nolet where I'm born... a few years earlier! ;)
I couldn't let it go frankly: it was for me...

Body in classical BRG and inside in cream leather (inside nearly immaculate).
Hood at the moment in a sorry condition (3 holes) but the seller gives me a brand new mohair one. Even better! My job to swap them and I've just found the man who'll do it, a saddler living 15km far from home! No way I could do that myself, so many professionals contacted refusing to take the job in charge!

A rather bruised rear right aisle but nothing to worry: the professional will correct it.
Some minor niggles to get rid of and all the services to do (including belts & pump) and the car will be top notch.

Oops! I'd forgot: 94,000 km (60k mls) which is not so much for a 25 years old car.
An engine in perfect order without any leaking & a body without any hint of rust.

Two previous owners (a retired chap 1994-2013 & the seller a 30 years old lad 2013-2019) & the whole history with service booklet, driver's manual & several bills.

D-5! :taz::bgrin2::bunnydance:

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The cab in its present condition

Here are some pics taken by the seller. Not great but better than none.

Around 500 LHD 214 cab only sold in France from 1993 to 1996.
About the same figure for the 216 cab with its Honda engine.
But I wanted a British car with a British engine! :happy:

Since the pics were done my kind seller has cleaned the inside & washed & polished the outside.
Bonus: I'll have a pair of brand new Kleber tyres to replace a rather worn one (but still legal) on the car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oops I'd forgot!

Icing on the cake, a reinforced head gasket so no HGF!
2 keys & fob, alarm & anti-theft wheel bolts.
Electric windows, hood & aerial (the best device in my opinion! A James Bond like! :grin:).

·
Registered
mg_tf
606 Posts
Lovely. These look good top up or top down.
Both the interior and the engine bay look well cared for- a very good sign.
If you haven't tried it yet, open motoring is a different experience. Muh more onneted to the sights, sounds and smells of the world you're passing through.
You'll enjoy her I'm sure

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lovely. These look good top up or top down.
Both the interior and the engine bay look well cared for- a very good sign.
If you haven't tried it yet, open motoring is a different experience. Muh more onneted to the sights, sounds and smells of the world you're passing through.
You'll enjoy her I'm sure
Thank you buddie!

I've had a Fiat Punto convertible 1.6 90bhp ELX Bertone 1995 during 2 years & a half (2015-2017) that was actually my better half's daily.
Very smooth, fantastic in the sunshine or decent weather.
That's a reason why I was a bit nostalgic of it.

But there are other reasons.
I'd had a 214Gsi that was once my parents then mine when they died. That very well built car lasted 24 years when my wife unwillingly had the silly idea of trespassing a stop... The car didn't appreciate...

Third reason: when I was involved in a British rally in France 2 months ago, I was deeply attracted by all those nice or luxurious roadsters or convertibles: easily more than half of the whole fleet! MG, Lotus, AC, Morgan, Austin, Triumph, Jaguar, Mazda, Volvo, you name it...
Hence the idea made its progress in my brains: why not mixing the good memories of my late 214 hatchback & my Punto convertible?

And I recalled as well the image of my wealthy godfather driving successively lots of roadsters or convertibles such as Daimler, Jaguar or Aston Martin in the late 50s.
I arrive at the conclusion that on a far humbler scale I'll be very happy with a modest 214i convertible.

A bit windy & a bit noisy indeed, not too fast obviously, but far less isolated from the brave new world than in my classy 75!
And if I can wait safely up to 5 years, that 214i cabriolet will become a 'collector', with a special status protecting it against the crusher: the insurance will be committed to repair it at any cost.

A piece of the good old British motor industry protected by French laws! Despite that ghastly Brexit, 'l'Entente Cordiale' will be back! :grin:

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tomcat? :getcoat:

Sorry @gnu I'd not seen your astute suggestion: Tomcat indeed would have been a brilliant idea provided it would have been fitted with a soft top! The best of both world: cabby & sporty... Unfortunately it was never done.

Given the tiny difference between 1.4 Rover & 1.6 Honda, I'd rather to stick to a K engine. In France a 1.4 103 bhp is taxed as a 6cv and a 1.6 122 bhp as a 9cv, 150% more! :scary:
In comparison my KV6 2.5 auto (175 bhp & going up to 210km/h) is taxed as a 13cv and nearly the same, a KV6 2.5 manual (175 bhp as well, a tad thriftier & going up to 215km/h) is taxed as a 12cv...
Preposterous! :wtf: :shake:

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've just had a second phone call from my seller within two days.
He had yesterday a hard game with a security bolt on one wheel he'd told me about yesterday. The key looked rather messed up.
I'm relieved it happened before the deal was sealed...

Today is a better day: after lots of searches, he's found out a compatible brand new key from a distant scrapyard he'd called on and a corresponding bolt. And just in case he'd ordered 4 standard bolts as well. The parcel has been posted today at once and he hopes it will arrive just in time next Thursday. Meantime he has asked his mechanic to manage the extraction of the reluctant bolt.
How lovely is he? :broon:

BTW I've got now nearly all of the stuff needed to begin to clear the niggles from Rimmers, Oscaro & Norauto (both last ones being French car pieces & consumables providers).
I'm just waiting for the 'Dutch' clips.
And appointment was made with the saddler for the hood swap on the 17th of next October.
I need now to get the same but a bit earlier from the coach-builder. And from my good mechanic as well at any time.

Definitely that car is growing on me more and more! :mg_chic:

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
200 or R8?

I'm thinking @Roverlike that my new journal might be misplaced here and more rightly located in
'R8' Rovers (aka Wedges!!).
But there I'm unsure of its 'visibility' so few are the threads... :confused:
It seems that cabriolets & coupés are becoming rare beasts...

1 - 20 of 115 Posts