MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My ZS Mk1 just cut out totally whilst driving yesterday, RAC man came out, couldn't find the problem so i got towed to this dealer (which i didn't know existed).

Anyone had dealings with them? Are they any good?

The guys in there seemed like a good bunch of chaps.

Kind Regards

Adam

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
81 Posts
Goatyman said:
My ZS Mk1 just cut out totally whilst driving yesterday, RAC man came out, couldn't find the problem so i got towed to this dealer (which i didn't know existed).

Anyone had dealings with them? Are they any good?

The guys in there seemed like a good bunch of chaps.

Kind Regards

Adam
No personal experience of them but I think they are the local dealer to 'Autocar' whose offices are in Teddington and who gave them a few mentions in the mag (positive) when their long term test Rovers and MGs needed servicing.

However I thought they were de-franchised (along with many other smaller, family dealers) in the late 90's...? That I do remember reading in 'Autocar'. Maybe they got back with MGR when the P4 took over.

·
Registered
36,458 Posts
They are excellent IMHO and AFAIK remained franchised dealers throughout the 1990s until recently. They have existed since 1897 - good they're still going.

The police used to have their cars serviced there.

(anyway, no-one could give bad opinions about a dealer on a public internet forum like this I'm sure!)

·
Registered
36,458 Posts
Well, I'm just on my way to Kingsbury's: they have what I have always thought of as "shiny round stud things" (wheelnut covers) in stock!

I'll ask about the Peugeot thing - must have been since mid-2002 because IIRC they started answering the phone as "Kingsbury Rover" in the 90s and then "Kingsbury Rover MG". Then they got a new, easy-to-remember phone number when "081" numbers were introduced.

Now they are "Kingsbury Ford LDV MG Rover". If they only had an 0898 number (0906 now?) - they could make a few quid on each call while they say their name!

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Well, they've certainly been loyal; I can remember seeing Wolseleys and Rileys in their showroom windows. They were the sort of dealers who were once the backbone of BMC.

·
Registered
36,458 Posts
Ann MG Writer said:
Well, they've certainly been loyal; I can remember seeing Wolseleys and Rileys in their showroom windows. They were the sort of dealers who were once the backbone of BMC.
yes, they produced a booklet to celebrate 1897 - 1997 showing their showrooms in 1997; in the days of BMC; and right the way back to something like bicycle repair (?) in the days when Hampton was what we would think of as a quiet village, albeit one with a train service to London.

Their workshop looks very busy today (good!), though unfortunately the colourful array of Rover, and MG, cars latterly for sale there is now replaced by other marques.

They now do Ford servicing as well as MGR. Judging by the cars in for service, drivers of several other marques come there too...

The young bloke on the parts counter had not heard of them ever having been a Peugeot garage...which suggests that must have been somewhere else...

Kingsbury's still have no franchise to sell new cars. What's Chinese for "golden opportunity" I wonder?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
They are very good in my experience and when I used them 4 or 5 years ago, had a good bunch of technicians who sorted most problems easily.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
patpending said:
The young bloke on the parts counter had not heard of them ever having been a Peugeot garage...which suggests that must have been somewhere else...

He got me a quote for an Xpower Exhaust :) £234.95 - but included fitting!:)

·
Registered
mg_zt
31 Posts
When I had my Rover I used to take it to G Kingsbury & Son (they were then Rover/MG dealers) and they always did a good job. Reception service suffered a bit when Rover went bust, but now they have revived themselves as Ford dealers who also do Rover/MG. I recently let them have my MGZT to fix a fuel pump problem, which they did with good technical skill, and when I mentioned the air bag light coming on, they immediately understood the problem and cleaned and sealed the plugs at no cost which I was very pleased with since I didn't fancy hanging upside down inside the car with my soldering iron.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
They have been 'BMC' family dealers for many, many years and have always been patriotic supporters of their charges. I hope they can be part of a successful future for MG. I can remember them years ago selling the ADO16 rnage when it was new...

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
193 Posts
They started selling Rovers in 1897 when Rover only made bicycles and are probably the oldest Rover dealers in the world. We got our MGF from them in 97, a 200 in 1999, another F in 2000 (for son) and a 75 in 2001. When the Hun were running the show they won the best Rover dealer in the South East and the best in the country the following year.

They only took on the Ford dealership when MGR went belly up.

It was 4 Seasons in Kingston that went from Rover to Peugeot and back to Rover. They were a shower.

Kingsbury are excellent. Always helpful and get in right first time without drama. They have just done the 11 year service on our F and it again sailed through the MoT

They are being chased by SAIC but have said they won’t make a decision until they have seen and tested some cars off the production line.....

·
Registered
36,458 Posts
It was 4 Seasons in Kingston that went from Rover to Peugeot and back to Rover. They were a shower.
yes, thanks to Four Seasons my drive was redecorated with sump oil where they had forgotten to put a new plug in.

They are being chased by SAIC but have said they won’t make a decision until they have seen and tested some cars off the production line.....
fingers crossed...

·
Homologation Engineer
1,107 Posts
During my MGR Days and Pub Talk delivery, I spent a very pleasant day with them explaining what our cars could do and generally cheering them all up. Really nice bunch of people and their family name was obviously very important to them so they were always great to speak to.

I send people their way even today if they've still got their MGR kit kicking about for servicing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts