MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone able to explain the dry joints thing a bit for me ? I've heard it mentioned several times over the years but never needed to investigate further (well until now....wacky windows) SO was wondering before stripping kit out under dash if a quick run down was poss...

Ta

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Anyone able to explain the dry joints thing a bit for me ? I've heard it mentioned several times over the years but never needed to investigate further (well until now....wacky windows) SO was wondering before stripping kit out under dash if a quick run down was poss...

Ta
Have you tried 800 FAQ,s in google.Brings up a good site for 800 problems.

·
Registered
rover_800
309 Posts
The quality of soldering on the fuseboard under the steering wheel is pants, as they say, you probably have at least one dry joint.

Exhibit 1: dry joint on fuseboard:

Redoing this sorted out my windows, sunroof and alarm.

If you're unsure about soldering, these sometimes come up on eBay as resoldered boards.

The biggest pain was getting the multiplugs off the board, it's fiddly to get at.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine suffers in the central locking/alarm ball park. i brush my hand over all the fuses and it works for a while, then back to no locking and having to slamlock the car. Might do me a search around for boards.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
wacky windows

I would guess that your window problems are either the window/sunroof ecu under the front passenger seat or the window master switch, in the drivers door, dry joints seems a bit of a stretch, find another rover driver try their master switch, simple prise out unplug and swap, if that fails then try the ecu, under the passenger seat, send the seat back, the ecu is held in place by a single crosspoint screw, you may find a stubby screwdriver easier, unplug and plug in an alternative. I'd bet one or the other will solve the problem, you can get a used replacements on ebay for about £20 each.

Anything is better than trying to find and cure dry joints,( if you have any in the first place)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would guess that your window problems are either the window/sunroof ecu under the front passenger seat or the window master switch, in the drivers door, dry joints seems a bit of a stretch
Why on earth would you guess that? Experience (as opposed to guesswork!) has shown that in fact, many of the most common 800 electrical gremlins can and will be remedied by resoldering the fusebox. That includes temperamental windows. So you see, it isn't "a stretch" at all.

It is a fairly straightforward job and costs nothing. This has to be vastly preferable to your suggestion of removing/replacing bits until the problem (hopefully) goes away. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Why on earth would you guess that? Experience (as opposed to guesswork!) has shown that in fact, many of the most common 800 electrical gremlins can and will be remedied by resoldering the fusebox. That includes temperamental windows. So you see, it isn't "a stretch" at all.

It is a fairly straightforward job and costs nothing. This has to be vastly preferable to your suggestion of removing/replacing bits until the problem (hopefully) goes away. :)
I'd concur. My iffy central locking is easily solved by jiggling the under steering fuses, though it stops working agains soon enough. I'm not at all confident in soldering it myself (or taking it out actually!).

Cheers!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Can I please just point out guys, when your re-soldering stuff like this that was a made a couple of years ago, make sure you have leaded solder and not the new lead free stuff, as they don't mix well together.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
I would have to say the drivers dor switch is more the problem hear. The dry joint thing on 800's is well known but so is the iffy switch packs. The main way to tell is take it out and measure the resistence of the switch's. I had one wear the rear windows worked one day and then no another. It was the switch but as I have climate control dont have the windows down that offten to warrent a new switch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts