MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered a full set of lights from www.aceparts.com
a wicked service however, when taking the full beam lights out I noticed that they were the same as the standard lights. Are these supposed to be H7 and not H1? Has someone who previously had my car replaced these lights with the wrong ones? I have a mk2 mgf 1.8i vvc w reg

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You can get Fs with H7 and H1 and some with just H1s. I think that the earlier cars had the mixed variety and that's why supplier's books tend to suggest that you need one of each. Moral of story is check what's on your car before you buy.

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
I doubt it, I thought 100W was illegal. Usually about 55/65W. It's not
necessarily the power of the lamp that makes the difference between dipped and main, it is the focus of the reflector in the headlight. which throws the beam further ahead of the car.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,999 Posts
Also the extra heat from the 100W lamp is going to do the already poor reflectors no good at all.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys I'll email aceparts.com to get some replacements from ebay they are very cheap !!

·
Registered
11 Posts
"I think that the earlier cars had the mixed variety"

Not necessarily so, I'm afraid. My '95er is no 431 off the line, and has H1's both main and dip.

Jonty

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
My '95er is no 431 off the line,
Interesting..... my F history is a little rusty, but IIRC the first 500 cars off the line were pre-production 'press' cars and all had the same 3 letters on the reg plates, normal production cars started at number 501 or 502 which was the old Abingdon works phone number, so the story goes....... I think??..

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Something I found on Dieter's site

mgfcar.de said:
On August, 29th. starts the offficial delivery with VIN AD000251. As each other new MG model it got the old Abingdon factory phone number.
Vin 251 was the first volume production car, in Flame Red, and was presented to BMIHT for display at Gaydon
There were 98 cars built in CAB2 from the start of 1995 as part of the Quality Prototype phases (QP1 to QP4), and Final Method Build. These cars had VINs 000001 to 000098. Most of these cars were registered for the road and were used as press and road test cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts