MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Have recently bought a second hand 414 N reg . I filled her up with £25 worth of petrol and when i got home there was quite a serious leak of petrol under the car(it was aprivate sale so no come back).

Since then I have just been put £15 in her and she has been fine i.e no leaks.

How much does it cost to fix this sort of problem?

If i only half fill her and there are no leaks is that a serious hazard? does it pass the MOT?

·
Registered
rover_25
95 Posts
I would get it fixed ASAP even if not needed for MOT. You may want to put plenty in for a long journey or go up or down a steep hill or may just forget and fill right up.

R

·
0 Posts
A good second hand tank ought to be cheap enough.

It's also worth finding out WHY it's leaking. Is it a hole in the tank, leaking welded seam or perished filler hose for example? If you know why and where you are getting the leak you can fix the right bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fuel leak

Thanks for help... can the tank be fixed? ie. patched up ....? as apposed to getting a new tank fitted
the car is only woth 600 quid and i have put that price again into putting a new cam belt .. battery and brakes on her... i am feeling sick at he thought of pumping more cash in to a buget car

any idea as to cost of patching up a fuel tank? or replacing it?

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
is the later curved shape or the earlier shape 400???

if the eailier a fuel tank should be easy to find and cheap from any rover 200/400 excluding the diesel of the same era. I have one sat in the garage u can have for £10 if it is the earlier 400. im in rotherham

andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its new shaped rover.... I am in the north of scotland .. will look into a local one
thanks for offer

R

·
0 Posts
You can fix tanks but to be honest I would not bother. Get a decent second hand one and paint it with plenty of Hammerite paint before it goes back in.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I had excatly the same problem on my Rover 414 - the seam had perferated due to a leaky breather -

its relativly easy DIY fix - aslong as your comfortable working around petrol - if your not 100% sure of the risk please seek professional advice

I got a repalcement tank from imperial

http://www.sel-imperial.co.uk/main-part.html

double check this but its part number 2749 and its £85 (+postage i would expect)

This is much cheaper than Rover and comes with new gaskets etc - however you will probably need some new hanger fitments for under the car

double check the quick fit connectors - and i had one pop off after fitting the tank which meant i dumped about £20 of fuel in 20 minutes....!!!

I gave mine a coat of primer and thick black hammerite paint before fitment as it comes bare metal (although i think its galvanised, but im not sure) It was covered in grease so that has to be removed first.

try and get the tank empty before doing any petrol tank repairs - and if at all not sure - seek professional advice - petrol tanks with petrol in them go bang if not careful

1 - 10 of 10 Posts